• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gleemax is Dead

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Not a big surprise, here. I tried using Gleemax and it was like pulling teeth to do the simplest most common things. It seemed like there was too much 're-inventing the wheel' going on there. I suspect that at some point, we'll have a nice juicy tell-all story about what happened behind closed doors.

It reeks and stinks of 'too many cooks', too many people in the company who have too much pull in places they have no business having any say-so in. In my experience, that's usually what kills software projects like this.

Jack Colby

First Post
Wow the attitude on Enworld drops from month to month :(

You really shouldn't kick someone when he is already down, let's not forget that there were some people behind that Project with big hopes and a concept that would have help us Gamers and that for FREE!

It's tough love, and yes, I am being serious when I say that. I think most everyone here would love to see them successful, but given the terrible implementation from the start it's frustrating to see them (repeatedly) go about things in such an inept way. Harsh, public criticism can go a long way towards forcing people (or companies) to straighten out and get their act together, and sometimes it is the only way that works. I hope WotC has been suitable embarrassed by this and will redouble their efforts to give us a smartly designed, useful DDI.

thedungeondelver

Adventurer
NIGEL: I think he’s right, there is something about this, that’s that’s so black, it’s like; “How much more black could this be?” and the answer is: “None, none... more black.”

DAVID: I think, like you’re, like rationalizing this whole thing like into something you did on on purpose. I think we’re stuck with a very, very stupid and a very, very dismal looking album, this is depressing.

This, FTW.

Erik Mona

Adventurer
You know, the thought actually briefly occurred to me... But Planet Stories focuses specifically on "sword & sorcery" style fantasy, and I think Shades of Grey, though certainly dark and morally ambiguous enough, probably has too many elements of higher fantasy to qualify. (Plus, I think PS is focused primarily on older writers that have been out of print for a while.) And even if I thought he'd do it, I wouldn't ask Erik to change the focus of an entire line just to do me a favor. :heh:

The thrust of the line is reprints of classic sword and sorcery and sword and planet novels, so unfortunately Ari's novel wouldn't quite fit the bill.

Perhaps in 30 years?

Good luck, Ari. I had a two-book deal fall through on a technicality last year, and it was a thoroughly frustrating experience. And I hadn't even started the work yet! I can only imagine what you're going through.

On the other hand, having a finished novel is better than having nothing at all, and if it's any good you ought to be able to find a new home for it.

Good luck.

--Erik

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
Well, I'm kind of sad about it I guess. But I gave up on Gleemax like I gave up on waiting for George R. R. Martin to finish his epic and moved on.

I think the good news for me is that I learned they moved the designers blogs off Gleemax[alpha] and back on to the forums where they worked better all along. Dunno when that happened as I ditched following the blogs because of the pain and suffering it entailed to track the blogs on Gleemax. Again, I dunno if I'll be going back to following the designer blogs anytime soon, I'm still sore over the massive mess of the Potemkin village called the Other Published Worlds forum.

Remove ads