• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Gloom Stalker Ranger

Tigit

Explorer
Can anyone tell me if I have this correct?

I created a Human Varian Gloom Stalker Ranger at 3rd level. Taking the Human Variant I used the Feat for Dual Wielder which lets me use weapons which are not light. The Gloom Stalkers Deadly Ambusher Feature Increases my first round move to 40, increases my iniative by my Wisdom Bonus, and, if I attack the first round I get an extra attack which deals an extra 1d8 damage. I chose the Two Weapon Fighting Style from Ranger at 2nd level letting me add my ability bonus to my second attack. My ability I am using is my Dexterity which is an 18. I am using two ( 2 ) Rapiers.

So if I attack the initial round with both of my weapons and hit that is 2d8+8. I get the extra attack from the Deadly ambusher which is 2d8+4. This seems a lot, but by the way I read the rules this is what it should be. Am I right?

NotAYakk

Legend
Action: attack (1d8+4). Deadly Ambusher: 2d8+4 (1st round only).
Bonus Action (as you attacked in main hand, offhand attack): 1d8+4
(Total: 4d8+12, or average of 30 if everything hits)

Yep that is it.

Aside: having 18 dex at level 3 on a human is unexpected. Point buy won't give you that.

At level 5 you'll get (1d8+5)x2, ambusher 2d8+5, bonus offhand 1d8+5 (assuming +2 dex at 4), for 5d8+20 (42.5)

If you dip fighter 2 after that, you can action surge for (1d8+5)x4 (2d8+5)x2 1d8+5 on your first turn, for 9d8+40 (80.5)

Then find yourself a flaming rapier for 9d8+16d6+40 (136.5).

Last edited:

Olrox17

Hero
Sounds correct. As the previous poster said, your abilities scores seems to be higher than normal, but that’s to be expected if you went with rolling scores.

Keep in mind that two weapon fighting uses up your bonus action every round, limiting your ability to use some very good ranger spells.

Tigit

Explorer
Sounds correct. As the previous poster said, your abilities scores seems to be higher than normal, but that’s to be expected if you went with rolling scores.

Keep in mind that two weapon fighting uses up your bonus action every round, limiting your ability to use some very good ranger spells.
Yes. Hunters Mark is good and can be applied after the first round. The Deadly Ambusher feature only applies to the first round of combat. I figure after that you use hunters mark on the next opponent and the second round with the next opponent you go back to two weapon fighting. And Yes I rolled my stats. 18/16/14/14/13/12.

G

Guest 6801328

I'm not sure I've ever seen one of these threads with rolled stats that are below what you'd get with point buy.

Interesting, that.

(Full disclosure: the only character I've played in the last few years with rolled stats was significantly better than average.)

Tigit

Explorer
I'm not sure I've ever seen one of these threads with rolled stats that are below what you'd get with point buy.

Interesting, that.

(Full disclosure: the only character I've played in the last few years with rolled stats was significantly better than average.)
I have always found that rolling is better than point buy. But it is a chance. You could always roll a bunch of ones and twos. But this character is just for a one shot. My character for the campaign is a rogue.

G

Guest 6801328

I have always found that rolling is better than point buy. But it is a chance. You could always roll a bunch of ones and twos. But this character is just for a one shot. My character for the campaign is a rogue.

Rolling dice maths does math out a little bit better than point buy, but not by so much that we humans would tend to notice the difference, unless it's over a small number of iterations and we happen to get lucky on most or all of them.

So unless there is some built-in bias that among people who roll their stats, only those who roll well end up having questions to post on Enworld, it's highly improbable that virtually all of those posts would have stats higher than the expected average.

Tigit

Explorer
Rolling dice maths does math out a little bit better than point buy, but not by so much that we humans would tend to notice the difference, unless it's over a small number of iterations and we happen to get lucky on most or all of them.

So unless there is some built-in bias that among people who roll their stats, only those who roll well end up having questions to post on Enworld, it's highly improbable that virtually all of those posts would have stats higher than the expected average.
The math has changed a bit now though with 15 being the highest stat you can buy with point buy. You were able to buy an 18 if you wanted one, at some cost to your other stats but it was possible.

G

Guest 6801328

The math has changed a bit now though with 15 being the highest stat you can buy with point buy. You were able to buy an 18 if you wanted one, at some cost to your other stats but it was possible.
Oh, sure, you have a chance to get a really high score...and even a chance to get multiple really high scores...but on average, across all 6 scores, you shouldn't fare much better than point buy or standard array.

For example, the OP's stats (18/16/14/14/13/12) have an aggregate modifier of +13 (+4, +3, +2, +2, +1, +1). Based on a simple sim I just wrote, there's about a 1.5% chance of achieving that.

All I'm saying is that it's kinda strange that nobody ever (or never that I've seen) posts a thread like:
Hey guys, I just rolled up a rogue and I have a question. My ability scores are 14, 13, 11, 11, 9, 8.....

Because rolls like that are actually a lot more likely than 18/16/14/14/13/12

Remathilis

Legend
In all the years of playing D&D (20+ at this point) I have never seen ability scores rolled end up with subpar scores in two or more ability scores. Those characters are usually smothered in the cradle and rerolled. I only the ones who has scores that were acceptable or amazing actually played.

Everyone talks about their 18, 16, 14, 13, 12, 12 character, nobody about their 12, 10, 9, 9, 7, 4 one...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads