• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Gloom Stalker Ranger

G

Guest 6801328

(Note that fighter 2 > assassin 3, as an action surge is twice the dice and twice the static damage, and rests happen more often that surprise rounds usually).

That's highly campaign/situationally/DM dependent. And the surprise nova doesn't have limited uses; you can use it as often as you can achieve/engineer surprise. Again, pass without trace is huge in that regard.

Also, the fighter gets double the attacks, but advantage on only the first one, so higher miss rate. That in turn makes sharpshooter less viable. On my straight ranger/rogue with sharpshooter I would often get +30 (10 per attack) on top of everything else.

NotAYakk

Legend
That's highly campaign/situationally/DM dependent. And the surprise nova doesn't have limited uses; you can use it as often as you can achieve/engineer surprise. Again, pass without trace is huge in that regard.

Also, the fighter gets double the attacks, but advantage on only the first one, so higher miss rate. That in turn makes sharpshooter less viable. On my straight ranger/rogue with sharpshooter I would often get +30 (10 per attack) on top of everything else.
The general rule is that 2x the attacks is way better than advantage on each attack.

I guess advantage plus crit starts competing with twice as many attacks. :)

But SS really scales with more attacks.

Hurm. Checking.

60% base hit rate.

35% base hit rate (after SS), 5% crit rate, 1d8+17 damage per attack (SS), plus 1d8 bonus (per attack).

SSAss: 3 attacks with advantage and auto-crit gives 58% crit rate. 4d8 (18) dice and 51.0 static damage is 50.5 damage. 93% sneak attack crit for +13.0 or 63.5 damage.
SSFight: 6 attacks without advantage gives 35% accuracy 5% crit rate. 0.4 times dice 0.35 times static. Static is 102, dice is 8d8(36), is 50.1 damage.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads