GM Considering starting a second PbP

ahayford

First Post
Hey guys,

I decided to take a stab at GMing my first PbP game about 6 months ago. There were a few stumbles, but I think I'm getting the hang of it. If you are interested, I am GM of The Shackled City - Golarion, the first Paizo AP published in Dungeon magazine, re-skinned for Pathfinder's world of Golarion. I'm enjoying it immensely even if I get impatient with my players from time to time *cough* :angel:.

I am considering starting a second game. Something different...haven't quite settled on what yet. What I wanted to ask was, for GMs that run multiple games....do you find it divides your attention too much? I definitely do not want my first game to suffer because I'm writing for the second and vice verse. How do you manage multiple games? Should I just stick with one game rather then spread myself too thin?

What are other GM's experiences?

thanks!

Mass Defect

First Post
I've never Gm'ed a PbP game but I could tell you I would be interested in a Pathfinder game depending on the story background and what not.

I have DM'ed two games at the same time though, with the same group. It takes up your time and you need to manage better than with running the one game but its doable. I have patience but trust me when I say if I feel like I'm getting the short end of the stick...you'll know.

Last edited:

Rhun

First Post
I am considering starting a second game. Something different...haven't quite settled on what yet. What I wanted to ask was, for GMs that run multiple games....do you find it divides your attention too much? I definitely do not want my first game to suffer because I'm writing for the second and vice verse. How do you manage multiple games? Should I just stick with one game rather then spread myself too thin?

What are other GM's experiences?

I've DMed several games here simultaneously (I have two going right now...and just recently closed a third), and played in games with DMs that are running multiple games. It definitely divides your attention. They key is to make sure you have enough time to keep the games moving along, and that you don't get burned out by the amount of work you have to do.

If you do start a second game, I would recommend something short and simple. Run the two games together, and see how well you handle it. If everything goes well, when that short second game ends you can start another one. Running two complex, epic campaign arcs at the same time can be taxing for anyone.

Jemal

Adventurer
It's definitely much more of a challenge than just playing in multiple games. It depends on how much free time you have, and whether you think that's going to remain constant.

The problem I make on occasion is starting a game when I'm at a point in my life where I'm not all that busy, and then after a few months or so my life starts getting hectic, and my PBP games start to suffer.
I've definitely burned out before (As many of the more prolific gamers here have first hand experience with), but I've also successfully run multiple games simultaneously for over a year.

If you think you're going to be able to maintain your current level of presence on the boards, then I'd say go for it.

If you do start a second game, I would recommend something short and simple. Run the two games together, and see how well you handle it. If everything goes well, when that short second game ends you can start another one. Running two complex, epic campaign arcs at the same time can be taxing for anyone.
Ah yes, I can readily attest to that. I once ran two epic games with an entwined story, one M&M game, and a lower level but intricately plotted game all at the same time.. Though they did last for a while and were insanely fun, it ate up ALL of my time and after a year or so I was so burnt out I ended up quitting ENWorld for a while.

Last edited:

Dr Simon

Explorer
Two games isn't too bad; I've found that five is about my limit to run, as soon as I go above this number one or more begin to suffer and, like Jemal, that's usually the same time real-life gets busy as well.

I keep a folder of notes with each game seperated with dividers. Each new combat gets a record sheet, and I've usually got campaign notes and NPC details in there as well; it helps to keep things organised but it does mean you're dependent on being in the location where the folder is.

It kind of depends, really, on how much time you have to "tend" your games; if you're able to check in to ENWorld a couple of times a day at least then you can usually keep them trickling along with at least a short post.

Rhun

First Post
I keep a folder of notes with each game seperated with dividers. Each new combat gets a record sheet, and I've usually got campaign notes and NPC details in there as well; it helps to keep things organised but it does mean you're dependent on being in the location where the folder is.

I do this as well (in an electronic format).

Also, I try to maintain an INFO THREAD for each of my games, which includes notes, clues, people and places and such that the PCs have been and found. This gives the players a place they can go look up things, since PBP games tend to span years, and lots tends to be forgotten.

tiornys

Explorer
Also, I try to maintain an INFO THREAD for each of my games, which includes notes, clues, people and places and such that the PCs have been and found. This gives the players a place they can go look up things, since PBP games tend to span years, and lots tends to be forgotten.

I really like this idea. Do you use this forum for those threads, or do you put them somewhere else?

t~

Rhun

First Post
I really like this idea. Do you use this forum for those threads, or do you put them somewhere else?

t~

I use these forums. Here is an example for a Temple of Elemental Evil game I was running. It isn't complete, but it should give you an idea of how I used the forum for the info.

Remove ads