In PBP is a Sandbox filled with Quicksand?

Celebrim

Legend
Proper sandboxes are really hard to pull off, and contrary to internet rumor most tables don't even enjoy them. I'd say 75% of groups prefer the structure of an adventure path and often need that structure for the group to stay on task. This isn't even particular to PbP though I can see how PbP would make the problems with a Sandbox more acute.

Additionally, character driven RP where the player's goals and the characters background are driving the plot generally doesn't work with more than AT MOST three players. The problem of course is that the more players you add who are adding their own campaign goals and wanting to do deep exploration of their character and motivations, the more conflicting goals you have and the more scenes you have which are dominated by one player and the less reason you have for everyone to stay together. Really, this is a gaming style that privileges one GM and one player. (It's a valid joke that most of the early Indy games are written by GMs whose only player was a long-suffering family member, because so many of them seem to be play tested by only a single player if at all.)

In short, it's not just play by post - most tables should be running plot driven linear story lines with broad-narrow structures where how to get through the gate is up to the player, but they are all collectively motivated to get through the next gate.

I would add to the post that PbP is probably a dying format because the community it served - people that can't find a group locally - can now find games on platforms like Discord and play with other remote players with fewer of the challenges of PbP.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Yes, exactly. My players are in all sorts of time zones. I have had players from both coasts of Canada and the US, France, Croatia, Brazil, Australia, and the UK. And that's just the ones that I know about. I don't think it would even be possible for us all to meet at the same time. Someone would either be working or sleeping (or both!)

Work is the scourge of the drinking classes.

It's not just that, it's scheduling. For example, I'm pretty good about posting regularly, but I know that I have commitments coming up for the week of Thanksgiving and I'm going to be traveling and will be unable to post for most of December (after the 18th) - early January, so there's that.

With PbP, you have to enjoy the journey, because you are unlikely to make the destination.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
I started PbP with 4e - there were living worlds for all major game versions. Then judges and DMs started disappearing...

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
And yes, scheduling can be difficult, if you started as a high-schooler, went through college and started working, each step has its own advantages and disadvantages...but what mostly happens is that your free time dwindles and you have to prioritize.

I started PbP when I couldn't make time for face-to-face games - that was when my old group disbanded due relocation...work related.

As a non-player in PbP, but a visitor here, I appreciate the PbP threads.
They can be a fun read and I have great admiration for the DMs who run them.
For what it is worth I would not like to see them disappear. :)

thirdkingdom

Hero
Publisher
I think that pbp is an ideal medium for sandbox-style games, as long as you have player buy-in for the kind of game you'd like to run. The slower pace allows Referees to adjust to changing goals, and the ability to create multiple threads allows you to run large stables of adventurers that split off and tackle different objectives. I've run multiple year+ long sandbox games successfully.

It's not just that, it's scheduling. For example, I'm pretty good about posting regularly, but I know that I have commitments coming up for the week of Thanksgiving and I'm going to be traveling and will be unable to post for most of December (after the 18th) - early January, so there's that.
rpg.net has an absences thread pinned in it PbP meta forum. GMs are expected to check the thread occasionally, especially when they are missing a player. Players and GMs are encouraged to post there whenever their availability takes a hit. There are frequently posts there that just say "exhausted from work, won't be posting tonight."

Thomas Shey

Legend
Yes, exactly. My players are in all sorts of time zones. I have had players from both coasts of Canada and the US, France, Croatia, Brazil, Australia, and the UK. And that's just the ones that I know about. I don't think it would even be possible for us all to meet at the same time. Someone would either be working or sleeping (or both!)

I used to be a MUSHer many years ago, and we had players in Australia, England and a couple other places, so I'm familiar with the issue.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I would like to address the splitting the party part though. On the one hand, it would seem PbF could handle that really well. Just keep posting and have separate plot threads running or create new threads for the split and truly split the party. The only true downside would be having more active posters in one split than the other. This could make later synchronization difficult.

Oh I don't have a problem with splitting the party. A LOT of players do, though! (It's widely publicised as a no-no, but it can be a very useful trick at times. I have no problem juggling groups that go one way or another at the same time. Keeps me on my toes.

Remove ads