Against the Giants 5e PBP (Full)

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
We're trying to work out a few hurdles on the way to that plan, I think.

It's within that range (as the crow flies, for sure). It's just over an hour's hike over often difficult terrain. (Hazardous, even, especially in the dark, or if you don't know the best route.) I'd put it at somewhere around 2 miles, telepathy-wise.

Yeah, that's good. Seeing as you didn't have the chance to voice your objections earlier, we can say that you left the Cairn with a connection to Lord Faldur, and that you'd tell them to "stand down" if the conditions of a good assault weren't met. Those conditions could include "if the Stone Giants haven't left" - which they haven't, yet.
ok, works for me.
Cheers,

SG

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Just a quick note.

For Doc, I have been co-mingling the 5e damage for the pistol (1d10 piercing) with range for the revolver (40/120).

Partly because the range of the pistol in 5e base is 30/90, but imagines the single-shot pistol, but also because the revolver does 2d8 damage (which would be ... a lot ... given his other bonuses).

The gunslinger range for a pistol (CR variant) provides for a 60/240 range, but that also seems excessive all things considered. Pretty sure I mentioned this when creating the character, but I wanted to make sure I said this again.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Just a quick note.

For Doc, I have been co-mingling the 5e damage for the pistol (1d10 piercing) with range for the revolver (40/120).

Partly because the range of the pistol in 5e base is 30/90, but imagines the single-shot pistol, but also because the revolver does 2d8 damage (which would be ... a lot ... given his other bonuses).

The gunslinger range for a pistol (CR variant) provides for a 60/240 range, but that also seems excessive all things considered. Pretty sure I mentioned this when creating the character, but I wanted to make sure I said this again.
I hadn't thought of it in awhile, but I remember. I think it was a good call.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
As is often the case, I've been trying (and failing) to find the time to roll the rounds in both games. And, as is often the case, I realize that the only way to do it successfully (I have no idea why I often forget this) is to do it a few characters at a time.

So bear with me! I'm going to resolve as much as I can in a sitting and hit post. Then I'll do it again later, and so on, until I've got it done. Wait for the round-roller post to take your next turn!

And as usual, sorry that it got backed up a bit. It's not like I don't sit down something like three times a day with the intention of doing it, but get sucked in to some argument or another on an ENWorld thread instead! My heart's in the right place, but maybe not my head.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Hey @FitzTheRuke,

Would you mind resolving Gimlak’s reaction casting of silvery barbs? The outcome will affect his actions this round.
Thanks and cheers,

Sg
I don't think that Silvery Barbs ought to trump Legendary Resistance. 1) It's an already overpowered 1st level spell and Legendary Resistance is intended to reflect significantly higher than level 1 power; 2) Silvery Barbs says "The triggering creature must reroll the d20 and use the lower roll." and Legendary Resistance says "If you fail a saving throw, you can choose to succeed instead." No roll.

I see where you're coming from RAW-wise, but it seems to me that a case can (and should) be made that you could use SB, but even if they reroll their save, they still chose to succeed (it's the same save).

Now, if you're overly disappointed by this ruling, I'm not inclined to argue. Ultimately I don't really care either way, and I'll let it happen and move on.

Speaking of moving on - I'm sorry gang that I've been so slow again lately. I've just been swamped at home. I'm teaching my wife to drive, which takes up much of my free time, among other things. I'll keep trying to keep things moving!

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
I don't think that Silvery Barbs ought to trump Legendary Resistance. 1) It's an already overpowered 1st level spell and Legendary Resistance is intended to reflect significantly higher than level 1 power; 2) Silvery Barbs says "The triggering creature must reroll the d20 and use the lower roll." and Legendary Resistance says "If you fail a saving throw, you can choose to succeed instead." No roll.

I see where you're coming from RAW-wise, but it seems to me that a case can (and should) be made that you could use SB, but even if they reroll their save, they still chose to succeed (it's the same save).

Now, if you're overly disappointed by this ruling, I'm not inclined to argue. Ultimately I don't really care either way, and I'll let it happen and move on.

Speaking of moving on - I'm sorry gang that I've been so slow again lately. I've just been swamped at home. I'm teaching my wife to drive, which takes up much of my free time, among other things. I'll keep trying to keep things moving!
Hey @FitzTheRuke!

I actually am fine with this. I just want to know if the triggering condition applies (i.e. Gimlak casts the spell and looses a spell point). If the legendary resistance is used in the first place (original spell), then there is a strong argument to say that no roll was made, and hence, silvery barb can't be used.

Gimlak has had it fairly easy since the beginning since most of his save or suck spells target int. So I'm absolutely fine that he needs to struggle a bit more to earn a victory here.

No worries about the slow posting. I just started a new job (with an annoying firewall), so this is working out for me.
I'll post IC shortly.
HOpe you're enjoying being the passenger/teacher!
Cheers,

SG

Remove ads