Pathfinder 1E GM help: So my players pissed off a dragon

PnPgamer

Explorer
So random encounter tables made my players encounter a young blue dragon. The fight for them was easy, but the dragon was able to escape.
Any ideas how this will bite them in the buttocks?

MaskedGuy

Explorer
Well depends, how much was the dragon overpowered?

If by lot then definitely not direct revenge and more of "it dedicates next few decades to set up revenge due to its ego getting brushed" feels more like a blue dragon thing. That or its smart and just leaves the area to somewhere safer. Hard to say with dragons, depends on what you want really.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
They say revenge is a dish best served cold. In other words, wait for things to calm down and for their vigilance to lapse. Then you nail them.

aglondier

Explorer
Blues are known for their Machiavellian minds. Even such a young dragon should be about ready to start on his first real foray into bending the world to his will, and the pcs just gave him a pet project to work it on.
He is inexperienced, so have him start off small. Follow them to town, observe where they frequent, and who they meet. Once they leave town again, have him start working on subverting the pcs friends and allies, taking over their places and making them his own. When they return, it will be to a much frostier welcome. Over time, he will learn subtlety and finesse, but for now it will be direct strikes against them.
If he is discovered, he should flee straight away, abandoning his schemes...his defeat was too recent for him to have regained his confidence...but he is rebuilding. When he has the chance, he will send 3rd parties against the pcs, but direct confrontation is to be avoided.
If the party moves to another town or city, the dragon will wait about 6 months before realising they aren't coming back and will track them down and start over bedevilling them.
Let them catch an occasional shadowy glimpse, even have it send them an occasional missive, particularly after a success, of the dragon gloating. "Bwa ha ha ha, suffer my vengeance, fools." In scratchy crude lettering on parchment.
Not enough hassle to make the players hunt it down and kill it, just enough to annoy them occasionally.

aco175

Legend
People keep following the PCs watching them. They do not know who hired them as all the descriptions are not the same. A NPC wants to join the group to watch them and report to the dragon. BBEGs get tipped off that the PCs are coming to their lairs. Dragon ages himself through 'magic' and comes back in a couple levels after the players forget about him and are so paranoid about the people following them.

OR, the dragon wants to hire the PCs to clear a lair out that he plans to make his lair but it is infested with whatever right now and the dragon knows the PCs are powerful enough to do it. Then, in 100 years after he is powerful enough, he tracks down the PCs children and kills them. OR, it could be the dragon tracking down the children of heroes that killed his daddy and one of the PC's father/mother was part of that adventuring band.

"I'm searching for the 6-finger fighter."
Bobby, the Barbarian "Hey, my father had 6 fingers."

Ixal

Hero
Why should something happen? With the PCs being clearly more powerful than the dragon, why would the dragon seek out further conflict with them and risk its vastly longer life time?

Remove ads