• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E GM in need of assistance, Pathfinder

mrg1bz

First Post
Hey all, I'm a seasoned GM but I'm having trouble with making a decision about my players going through with a task, and I need it to be a difficult task as well as a bit emotional. All players have a lot of experience playing as well...

I need the PC's to kill an NPC, but the kicker is the NPC is not evil, only the NPC is essentially programmed to kill another NPC that is innocent and needs to live through the dilemma.

In a nut shell, the NPc is an assassin with no emotion, but from a guild that is not evil at all, only skilled as a thief/assassin. (please dont give me :):):):) for allowing a non-evil NPC to be an assassin. We'll say she has only levels of rogue)

If the players ignore her actions and tell-tale signs that she WILL kill the other NPC that is vital for a continuing storyline, then it will happen. I'm thinking of making her so 'programmed' and in tune with her task that she almost physically cannot stop herself from going through with the task.... but i'm drawing a wicked blank and can't think of anything else.... any ideas?

IronWolf

blank
Rather than trying to figure out a way to make sure the players kill the NPC in question to keep the critical NPC from getting killed I think you would be further ahead to figure out a way to continue events moving if the PCs allow the key NPC to be killed.

For example (me not knowing why the key NPC must live, but assuming he or she has some information), the key NPC has already hinted at or relayed the information to another person in the city. Upon her death this person approaches the PCs with concern that the key NPC was killed because of this information.

This way, even if the key NPC dies, the information still has a way to reach the PCs without needing to rely on the PCs making a key decision. It helps open things up a bit.

Feel free to post more details about the situation - but I think you will be further ahead to think of options to keep things moving than forcing the PCs hand.

Good luck!

R-Hero

Explorer
Is the NPC death the ONLY way out??

You say they need to save another NPC with vital information.

Can the group find the NPC first and play bodyguard?
("Come with me if you want to live.":))

Can the Assassin be stopped or diverted?
A player asumes the likeness of Target X and draws fire, making the ultimate sacrifice.

Local law enforcement brought into play makes it hard to get to Target X when behind bars or swinging from the gallows.

If the players get the info needed first, do they CARE if the Target gets squished??
Is the Target a family member or an old mentor?
(There is always a magical way communicate with the dead.)

What about the Target. Does he or she know that they have valuable information and a price on his/her head?

I ask these questions because you say your players are expereinced.
That means someone probably will find a way around the plot and you will need away to continue with the story.

Drawback

First Post
Wouldn't it be better if that good killer NPC had been the victim of some sort of "geas", "curse" or a strong "suggestion"? This assasin would know that she's doing something "bad" but couldn't do anything to stop her/himself form killing someone...

Then, you tie-in the possibility of removing that "curse" by a quest!

Something like finding the spellcaster that did it and killing him could break the curse... Oh! Add a condition, killing him in front of the assassin AND the other NPC... All the while protecting the poor NPC from the forced killer NPC!

I would expect a fun fight there...

Mojo_Rat

First Post
remember to follow the rule of three, if you want pcs to do something give them the info 3 different ways. I would also provide away to stop the assign without killing him I'n case the pcs want to go that rout, wether it's as simple as break enchantment or something more complicated.

tylermalan

First Post
You MUST assume that the players will ALWAYS mess it up! :D

For real though, in my opinion you should either have ways out or be willing to go with the flow. If the result of this NPC staying alive is what is really vital to the campaign, then make it available in some other way if the PCs screw it up! I'm sure you have heard the (now) old adage... "If you want the PCs to get into a dungeon, and you put that dungeon in the south, but the PCs go north, then move the dungeon to the north and they will never know." Apply this line of thinking to this situation.

Remove ads