GM1: Bizarre Bazaar

covaithe

Explorer
Gribble's thick eyebrows climb amost to his hairline with interest when you show him the scroll. He wipes his hands clean before carefully unfolding it, peering at it intently for long moments. At last, he sits back and sighs.

"Well, I'd like to help ye, lads, but... It's dwarven all right, an old dialect. Too old for me, I'm afraid. I can only make out a few words. I know a dwarf in me clan's homelands that could read it, but... here? I... I dinna think there be anyone here who could read it."

[sblock=Sense Motive DC 15]That last sentence is a lie. Gribble seems a bit troubled about it.

[sblock=DC 20]For just a moment, a look of anger flashed across Gribble's face. It looked very much like how he looked yesterday, talking about the duergar who holds a dwarven axe.[/sblock]
[/sblock]

jkason

First Post
Weel Naxel, human cleric

"Well, I'd like to help ye, lads, but... It's dwarven all right, an old dialect. Too old for me, I'm afraid. I can only make out a few words. I know a dwarf in me clan's homelands that could read it, but... here? I... I dinna think there be anyone here who could read it."

Weel opens his mouth to speak for a moment, clearly puzzled by something. Then, in odd moment of self-control, he shakes his head and smiles instead, then stares at the floor for a second.

One deep breath later, he says, "Well, it was worth an arrow, right? Er, I mean shot. Not that anyone should be ... um. I mean, thank you for trying." He looks to the others, awkwardly embarrassed.

[sblock=OOC]Rolled on a whim, didn't expect to get anywhere close, but horay for whims:

Sense Motive roll. (1d20+3=22)[/sblock]

Heckler

First Post
Gribble's thick eyebrows climb amost to his hairline with interest when you show him the scroll. He wipes his hands clean before carefully unfolding it, peering at it intently for long moments. At last, he sits back and sighs.

[sblock=Sense Motive DC 15]That last sentence is a lie. Gribble seems a bit troubled about it.

[sblock=DC 20]For just a moment, a look of anger flashed across Gribble's face. It looked very much like how he looked yesterday, talking about the duergar who holds a dwarven axe.[/sblock]
[/sblock]
Sense Motive 1d20+4=22

"Our bad luck, I guess. Oh well, we've other things we need to be attending to."

ooc: I just realized when I checked my CS that I have Dwarven as a language. Can I make anything of it?

covaithe

Explorer
Gribble scratches his beard vigorously and relaxes a bit as he answers. "Ah, well magic armor I do know somethin' about. I'd better, it's me trade! What would ye like t'know?"

Octavio, despite being familiar with the dwarven language, is also unable to make out the writing. In fact, he has trouble recognizing

[sblock=ooc]I'm off on vacation from tomorrow morning until the 26th, with no internet access, so this is likely my last post here until then.[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
ooc: Okay, now that's just embarrassing; I come back after a week away and discover that my last post it only half-written. Bah. I don't remember what I intended to write, but the gist was that Octavio can't read the scroll.

Anyway, I'm back now and ready to go on. What's next? It sounds like you guys are done with Gribble for the moment, or have I forgotten something?

Kenku17

First Post
OOC:I believe we were going to see if he knew what the propeties of the armor from the skeleton was, if not also Tank's Medallion.

jkason

First Post
Ooc

OOC: Weel has a suggestion for where to go next, but he's waiting until we're done with whatever else may need doing and have left the shop to voice it.

covaithe

Explorer
Upon being shown Tank's magic chain shirt, Gribble's demeanor becomes briskly professional again. "Well! Tha's not a bad piece, that. Let me see..." He hefts the shirt, feeling the weave with his thick fingers. He sniffs it, and even licks it rather daintily, before making a face and giving Tank a dirty look. Presently he sets it down and addresses you. "Aye, magic, right enough. Now. Ye've a choice t'make. I can do some non-magic tests on it, hit it with hammers and fire and suchlike and see what happens. I'll do that fer ye at no charge, since ye be customers." He leans close and whispers behind a hairy hand, "Truth is, I'll get me apprentice t'do it. He needs the practice, aye!" He continues in more normal tones, "That'll tell ye what kind of enhanced protection it has. What it won't tell ye is if there be any kind o' curse on it. Now, I won't be askin' ye where ye picked up this wee bauble, but unless ye can trust yer source, I'd recommend ye spend the cash fer a proper magical look-see. I can do that fer ye too, but the supplies fer the spell ain't cheap, and I'd ask ye t'cover those costs. 'Twould be a hundred gold, even. It's yer neck, so it's yer choice, eh?"

On being shown the medallion, his thick brows cluster in disapproval. He waves the medallion away without examining it closely. "Put that thing away. There's no magic to it, it's from one o' those Grodlek filth. Have ye nae seen more of those around here? The Grodleks are a bunch of duergar that camp nearby. Slavers; nasty folks. Umraecyl don't let 'em operate out of the bazaar, but they bring their wares here for sale from time to time. You take this off of one of them? Well done, I say, but watch yer back. They don't take kindly to opposition."

ooc: I hope I'm not forgetting some other medallion...

Remove ads