• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GMG's Gazetteer of the Known Realms Questions

Mitchbones

First Post
I am deciding which Campaign Setting I want to buy and in another topic a few people mentioned Aereth. I was wondering if anyone here either played or ran a game in Goodman Game's Aereth campaign setting?
Wanted to ask a few questions about it before spending $70. I havne't exactly played any of GMG's adventures yet but have heard very good things about them.

What do you think of it? Did you like it? Do you recommend it? Would you recommend it over a setting like Eberron or FR?

Edit: For those who don't know what I am talking about http://www.goodman-games.com/5034preview.php

Last edited:

genshou

First Post
I finally got my copy courtesy of my FLGS. I've been reading through the different kingdoms and I like how they have it set up. There are definitely some staple cliches, but it works great for a more generic setting. The descriptions are broader than in a setting like Faerun or Eberron, which gives DMs more room to do things their own way.

The maps that come in the box are incredible. For one thing, it's a very big map, not a tiny little map stuffed with detail like the one for Faerun. Having a spot on the map for most of the DCCs is kind of nice, if you are using them at least.

I haven't gotten to the GM's Guide yet (I'm still plowing through the Gazetteer) but from thumbing through it I think it looks pretty useful.

The included adventures are fairly linear and definitely invoke that "old school" feeling of a time when dungeons were dungeons and nothing else particularly mattered. Of course, it's not too much work to break away from that feeling if you don't want it.

A lot of other people around here have had the boxed set longer than me thanks to Gen Con, so hopefully some of them can weigh in on it.

Wraith Form

Explorer
I like it. Agreed, it is generic, but there are things about it that make it unique (the Aztec/Mayan influence, for ex, or the enormous impact lycanthropes, specifically wererats, has on the setting).

Mostly I like that the writers' passion and enthusiasm comes shining through on nearly every page. It was written with joy & love by Harley Stroh and the gang.

Is that a weirdly emotional reply? Sure--but it's why I like it.

Renshai

First Post
WraithForm is right, while at its very foundation, The Known Realms are a generic campaign setting, they also have some unique aspects that make the setting very special.

I am running a campaign in the Known Realms right now. We are only one session into the game but so far the player, and myself are really enjoying it. The setting doesn't suffer from new rules overload like Forgotten Realms does (I'm a big fan of FR, but not of all the 3E rulebooks) or overaching metaplot.

While there are some plot elements that sweeping, like the war that has all but destroyed the Grandy Duchy, they aren't intrusive and are generally easy to work around.

The Deities are generic enough so that you can easily add in your own, replace gods, or use you own pantheon. I've heard alof of people say that they are using The Book of the Righteous Pantheon for their games.

Sp far, its a great setting and we are really enjoying it.

Treebore

First Post
I like it better than GH or FR, but that is probably because I ran campaigns in both settings for nearly 10 years each. So I am kind of "burnt out" on each.

You will probably find it best if you read the 3 previews and then go to the forums and read the extra stuff posted in the DCC 35 thread.

It s a good solid setting with lots of flavor and possibilities, the only real question is will it appeal to you. None of us can tell you that.

Mitchbones

First Post
From what I have read about Goodman Games and this campaign setting, I have decided I am going to use it. It is general enough where I can make my own changes with out worrying about messing anything up alot :D . Thanks everyone that helped influnece my opinion :)

Last edited:

der_kluge

Adventurer
You might also check out Sword & Sorcery's Wilderlands setting. It's old school (the original Wilderlands came out in the 70s from Judge's Guild). It's polished and extremely detailed. It's more campaign setting than you can shake a stick at. I love it.

Akrasia

Procrastinator
der_kluge said:
You might also check out Sword & Sorcery's Wilderlands setting. It's old school (the original Wilderlands came out in the 70s from Judge's Guild). It's polished and extremely detailed. It's more campaign setting than you can shake a stick at. I love it.

Having looked over the Known Realms pdf, I have to say that I'm slightly underwhelmed. There's nothing 'wrong' with it, but I think I definitely prefer the Wilderlands as a truly 'old school' setting.

Wraith Form

Explorer
Treebore said:
I like it better than GH or FR
Me too...but I also like it (and this sounds strange) because I really like the dudes over at Goodman. I'm part of their message boards, and they're very friendly and cool and helpful, especially to n00b DMs like me who need a little hand-holding. That influences my enjoyment of the setting....knowing that people like you & me, running adventures at home on the weekends, are also being published professionally.

Also, it feels more "home-made" while looking professional.

Last edited:

Remove ads