GMing with Joy: Long Term Gamemastering

How do you keep a going for years on end?

If you pick up a core RPG book you will likely find a section on what is an RPG, how to roll dice, and hopefully some advice on running the actual RPG you are reading and maybe even a starting adventure. But what do you do to keep going month after month, decade after decade? How do you gamemaster for the long haul? And have fun doing it?

dragondice.jpg

Dragon Dice Play - Free photo on Pixabay

Basic Beginning

I start with a base of taking care of my relationships and health first. Basically, gaming is important to me but on the list of all the important things in my life, it is the very last important thing. Everything else of importance (faith, health, family, friends, citizenship, job et cetera) come before gaming. With all the other important things taken care of first, I then work on gaming.

I run a table top RPG every other week unless a family emergency or planned family event occurs. I’ve kept this schedule for over thirty years. I game in person unless I’m forced not to, on the same day and at the same time, unless group dynamics change dramatically. I game with the same core group, although players occasionally shuffle in and out.

The only major disruption to this long-running trend was D&D 4E. D&D 4E split my long running D&D 3.5 group into two camps (liked 4E or wanted to stick with 3.5) and I eventually lost everyone in that group (although I’m still friends with three of them) and had to start over. Forming a new group is a topic for another day however.

How, Though, Do You Game Every Other Week and Keep The Game Going?

Practical Answers

I run RPGs I like. I don’t run RPGs I don’t like.

Barring an emergency or planned absence, I show up every other week for game night ready to GM. I do this year after year and decade after decade. Even if I have to go virtual for a while, I show up ready to GM.

I start a campaign small, promising only a handful of adventures. If it goes well, I extend the campaign with more adventures. Which ties into the next thing I do.

I try my hardest not to end a campaign on a whim and try to bring each campaign to an actual conclusion (I sometimes fail at this, but I build up some grace with the group and if I go off the rails they trust me to get back on track).

I build on what came before. If the players liked a certain NPC, I bring them back. If a new monster design worked well (vampires (geeknative.com) in The One Ring!) I bring that monster back in a new challenge. If a PC wants some type of magic item, quest, or experience I try to bring it.

I get tired and can’t always write my own adventures or campaigns. I give myself all the help I need by falling back on other RPGs I own, reusing bits from previous adventures I’ve written, and repurposing parts of previous campaigns I’ve run. I currently like to run campaigns in a box (a core RPG with a supporting campaign and adventures).

How, Though, Do You Game Every Other Week and Keep The Game Going?

Mindset Answers

Gaming is a lifestyle. My whole family tells me I’m weird, nearly daily. They smile when they say this. My wife even hung classy looking prints of Tolkien landscapes in our basement for my yearly home gaming convention, Charlie Con, now on year six (another topic for later).

If I’m able to work I’m able to GM. This means even if I’m tired or not feeling it. This is just my approach. Life is hard (really hard right now) but if I’m able to get all my other responsibilities done, I don’t want to lose gaming. If I was healthy enough for work and my chores are done, I get to the game table to game. Of course that means I must work hard at my job and get my chores done on time before game night!

I appreciate what I have. We are seven people creating something new collectively, in person when possible, every other week for years at a time. That is an amazing social event to be part of. I rarely forgot what a blessing this social, mental, and creative endeavor is in my life. I have friendships, some decades long and some with people otherwise quite different from me, that started when I met someone gaming. I try to never forget that.

Gaming has gone so well a married couple in our group opened their home to us for gaming. We eat a home cooked meal before every game which creates a powerful bond in the group.

Expert Ending

If you want to GM, GM on a regular basis whether in person in virtual. Whenever possible, don’t stop a campaign before a natural ending point. Show up ready and have your affairs in order so you can concentrate as best you can. Have lots of fun, enjoy all the friends, and count your many blessings. Don’t give up. Like we said in the 80s: no retreat, no surrender. Embrace the gaming lifestyle and game on!

Charles Dunwoody

Charles Dunwoody

J.M

Explorer
Great article! In a perfect world, you need the following ingredients: a motivated GM, a GM with ideas, a GM with energy, motivated players, players who contribute to everyone's fun at the table (including the GM) and sync well with each other and the game.
But the world ain't perfect, so we find ourselves dealing with deficiencies in one or several of the above all the time. So yeah, it takes a lot of hard-earned maturity, patience and love of the game to keep doing this month after month and year after year. And an appreciation of what gaming brings to our lives and the real-life relationships it nurtures. I can certainly count a lot of close friends I would have probably lost touch with years ago if it weren't for gaming.

I found that I had to make my own joy.....

A couple years after school things drifted away for me. Having grown up in a dense community of people, the 'adult wasteland of emptiness' was quite a shock. Until I decided to change it.

Step one was helping people. It's amazing how many people need help with just simple life. Some people just need advice, but a lot of people need to be told what to do. Slowly I made a large group of aquantenices and friends.

The next part...was helping people even more with relationships. Just getting people even to the most basic level of a simple relationship. And the big part here is find the right person.

Then finally getting to The Game. Making...often from scratch a group of 20-30 gaming adults. People that have full and complete lives....that WANT to come over and play an RPG for 5-10 hours.

And that was years ago. Now I have three weekly core groups that have been playing on for many years, and another five "sometimes" groups, and another pool of 100 some players. All as part of a community.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
thank you for the article! I found it inspiring and motivating. Ive been running games for a long time; sometimes I feel a little burned out on a given system but I take short hiatus then come back at it. I agree with a lot of what you say and appreciate the tips you offer. Im the forever DM for my home group (we are 7 and meet in person once a month) and have been together for the last 5-6 years, probably my most cohesive group, half of my group are completely new to TTRPG (coming from video games). Do you have any tips for helping transition players with a video game mindset to a TTRPG?

Do you have any tips for helping transition players with a video game mindset to a TTRPG?

I'd need some more details on what that mindset means to you. But I have seen players struggle with the idea that they can do more than what is on the character sheet. I've seen players look down at the character sheet looking for a solution to any problem and not getting into the character and interacting with the setting. Is that similar to what you're working on or are you seeing other challenges?

Queer Venger

I'd need some more details on what that mindset means to you. But I have seen players struggle with the idea that they can do more than what is on the character sheet. I've seen players look down at the character sheet looking for a solution to any problem and not getting into the character and interacting with the setting. Is that similar to what you're working on or are you seeing other challenges?
Oh yes, I should have been clearer: I think it's mostly the mindset of "kill every monster" and sometimes putting themselves into situations that result in TPK. The murder-hobby syndrome issue that sometimes rears its ugly head

Oh yes, I should have been clearer: I think it's mostly the mindset of "kill every monster" and sometimes putting themselves into situations that result in TPK. The murder-hobby syndrome issue that sometimes rears its ugly head

I'm going to assume you're playing D&D 5E which awards XP for killing monsters. You can change this by awarding very little XP for killing monsters. This assumes the players are open to a game about more than killing monsters of course.

In TSR D&D the PCs got 1 XP for each gold piece hauled back to civilization. By comparison the XP for monsters was tiny. Random encounters were to be avoided, sneaking around was a good idea, and creative problem solving was the norm because coins weighed so much.

You don't have to play TSR D&D to get this option, though. Award XP for whatever you do want the PCs to be doing in the game or whatever goals they set for their characters. Do they want to free prisoners? Award each PC 50 XP per prisoner brought back home. Explore? Give them 100 XP for a new hex entered, another 100 for making peaceful contact with strangers, and maybe 500 XP for building roads or setting up a new village. Multiply these totals at higher levels of course by comparing to current monster XP thresholds.

At the same time, and make sure you tell the players this, award only 10% of the normal value for killing monsters to balance the extra XP coming in from elsewhere.

Most players will do what the rules award them for doing. Since you're the rule maker, have the rules favor the game all of you want to play.

At the same time, attach all the world building and roleplaying to these XP goals as well. A weeping wife embracing the husband the PCs rescued. The PCs making some extra coin from that road they trailblazed and negotiated a trade deal between two connected villages. Maybe a powerful patron approaches them based on their reputation and offers them a real adventure with real rewards: glory, power, money, fame, and of course piles of XP for the daring and bold who make it home alive.

Queer Venger

Yes, Im playing 5e. I was considering Milestone xp/leveling up which I hope will drive them more story wise.
Agree, I want them to engage with the setting more, I will definitely encourage more interactions with my NPCs.

Yes, Im playing 5e. I was considering Milestone xp/leveling up which I hope will drive them more story wise.
Agree, I want them to engage with the setting more, I will definitely encourage more interactions with my NPCs.

If you use milestones I'd highly recommend you tie them to the PCs' goals or if they don't have any then use the driving purpose of the adventure. The players are more likely to go after those things that generate XP and the more specific you are the easier it will be for them to see the best option for gaining levels.

And a TPK is perfectly legit if the PCs do something stupid. They shouldn't go up in levels unless they earn them. That is part of the fun and challenge of them getting to play D&D. Same thing applies in video games; you can't move forward in the game without accomplishing certain goals first and poor play leads to a lost opportunity.

Queer Venger

I like this, so accomplishing specific things in the adventure.

Yeah, agree about TPKs, I think video gamers know this, except you cant just re-start the game. There are consequences.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads