• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GM's day PDF sale recommendations

Voadam

Legend
A lot of great PDF sales going on for GM's day.

My recommendations as someone who plays 3.5:

EN Publishing: All are currently only $1, grab them if anything interests you. War of the Burning Sky, an adventure path of 12 big quality modules to take you from 1-20 with a fantasy world at war theme. EN Critter book series, good terrain themed monster books. Fantastic Science, a great wierd science as new magic source sourcebook for D&D, including a great warlock mechanics style science caster. Elements of Magic, great alt magic flexible magic system, The brood sourcebooks (crimson contracts, arcane strife, Necromancer's Legacy) great dark themed sourcebooks.

Adamant Entertainment: Another amazing everything is $1 sale. Two good Freeport modules. Thrilling Tales for a d20 Modern based RPG set in the Pulp era. Tons of decent short pulp era d20 modern modules, I got a ton of them for use in D&D. Imperial Age line is great, d20 modern based sourcebooks set in Victorian era world with varying levels of fantasy, I particularly like the faeries one. MARS RPG, plus minions of Mars, a d20 Modern based RPG set in Burrows Mars with swords, ape men and wierd critters. The minions book is a fantastic non magic NPC sourcebook for D&D games with stats for various NPC archetypes (pirates, merchants, assassins, courtesans, nobles, nomads, etc.) at various levels.

Inner Circle: Huge discounts on good stuff. Complete Book of Denizens for under $6? Amazing full color over 200 page monster book with very neat vicious and alien monsters. Their Lorebook setting books are good short campaign rule books as well for dirt cheap.

Necromancer: Tome of Horrors Revised 3.5 for $6. If you don't have it, play 3.5 and use pdfs this is probably the best value for gaming dollars, period. They also make good site based old school style modules and a few other sourcebooks.

Expeditious Retreat Press: 40% off their stuff at yourgamesnow.com. Their Ecology series is top notch but what I really like is their Monster Geographica series of terrain themed monster collections. Collections of existing OGC non-srd monsters updated to 3.5 if necessary, and organized by CR for easy reference. A great 3.5 DM resource.

RDP: Order of Eudeus is a decent church/paladin demon corruption book and a steal for $0.75. I also like the Touch of Evil series, the monsters of X books, and their True20 Blood Throne setting. The Cthulhu True20 book looks fun as well as the Bloodthrone supplements, though I have not gotten them yet.

Honorable Mentions:

Wizards of the Coast: Their 4e stuff is on sale for 25% off the normal 30% off the book cover price, making the core books a little more than $18 instead of the normal $25. I almost bought a PH and MM to try out the system, but the other 3.5 deals called out more to me.

Creative Conclave: Take a race or theme and does hundreds of useful basic statblocks with variations for a range of levels. Styles of NPC things are things like raiding party of scouts with a shaman and associated monster/mount/pet at various levels, basic stuff that will fit most campaigns. Great resource for DMing to have stats at hand predone as needed.

Fiery Dragon: Great counter art, with matches to various sets like Arcana Evolved, 3.5 SRD, Monster Geographica, Legions of Hell, 4e MM, etc. Also they now handle Iron Heroes, a number crunchy 3.5 based wuxia fantasy warrior focused RPG where gear and magic are not important for PCs.

AEG: Great 3e stuff at decent prices, but almost all of it is image scanned so copying text does not always do so well (varies from book to book depending on backgrounds) and the file sizes are humongous (94 mbs each for two I got last night). Content wise some great stuff, such as Swashbuckling Adventures, Rokugan, Warlords of the Accordlands, and a ton of their straight D&D d20 line (Mercenaries, Adventure, etc.).

White Wolf: I've heard good things about their new World of Darkness and Exalted games, they put a smattering of sourcebooks for these on sale though strangely none of the core ones. I was tempted by the Werewolf Predators book, but enough great 3.5 stuff was out for me to choose them instead.

Dragonwing games: I'm a fan of most of the old Bastion Press books and mostly of their Lore of the Gods book (though it has stat problems on monsters and heroes).

Dreamscarred Press: If you want 3.5 psionics support look no further, great stuff.

Silver Oak Studios: Argyle Lorebook is IMO a little known but great 3.5 points of light campaign setting set after the catastrophic fall of a great human magic empire.

Tabletop Adventures: Descriptive read aloud text sourcebooks for various terrains (caves, dungeons, forests, swamps, mountains, cities, etc.), very useful, very well done.

Tangent Games: Ados Campaign setting, Jute god sourcebook, Creatures of Ados, a fun 3.5 setting with an in-depth description heavy monster book and god sourcebook.

Bards and Sages: Neiyar is a neat 3.5 campaign setting of a divinely isolated (ravenloft style you can go in but not out) matriarchal jungle island with an unfortunate number of problems on the NPC and monster stats. I wish they had put their mythos line on sale as well as I already own Neiyar and I like the mythos ones I've got.

So those are my recommendations this GM's Day sale season.

Vanuslux

Explorer
Even with your helpful guide, I find myself completely overwhelmed by the ocean of deals out there. So many options...so little money to spare.

Hstio

First Post
Voadam,

Can you tell me a little bit more about the War of Burning Sky path and the Throne of Blood books? I'm on the fence with both. I'm not a fan of high level games (10-12th level is normally my cap), which makes me hesitant about the adventure path going to 20th level. With Pathfinder you get a lot of setting material and other goodies with their 6 book arcs. On the Blood Throne, I don't have True 20 Worlds of Adventure yet, but the the listing looked itneresting. Any more details?

Hstio

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Can you tell me a little bit more about the War of Burning Sky path

I can help you there!

First - the adventures are only $1 each this week, the first one is free, as are the Player's Guide and Campaign Guide.

It does go from 1st-20th, though there are "abridged campaign" options with points where you can jump on and off the campaign.

The campaign saga is much less dungeon-crawl driven than most.

LOTS of information here:

EN World D&D / RPG News War of the Burning Sky

As the new year turns, the weather across takes a sudden chill turn, and the sky darkens as the grip of winter intensifies. Worry rises as regular channels of communication between nations cease like a candle suddenly snuffed. Slowly, throughout the lands claimed by the Ragesian Empire, rumors spread between isolated villages, traveling by foot and horse and word of mouth -- rumors that Drakus Coaltongue, the immortal emperor whose armies conquered every land he set his gaze upon, has fallen in a distant land to the west. How the tyrant was defeated is unknown, but if it is true, everyone knows that a war is coming. The generals of Emperor Coaltongue will strike for control, oppressed peoples will rise up in rebellion, and dangers once held in check only by fear of the mighty warlord will bring doom to the world.

Those in power are preparing for the coming conflict, readying fervent armies and powerful weapons and subtle, deceptive plots, but two questions burn in their minds: who killed the seemingly-immortal Emperor Coaltongue; and what has become of the artifact that would let a man rule of the world? Who has the Torch of the Burning Sky?

E.N. Publishing presents a saga of twelve adventures where would-be conquerers bring the world to the brink of annihilation, and it is up to the heroes to decide who will rule in the aftermath of the great war – perhaps an ally, perhaps themselves, perhaps even anarchy. They can usher the world into a golden age, or let it be scorched under a rain of fire.

Even with your helpful guide, I find myself completely overwhelmed by the ocean of deals out there. So many options...so little money to spare.

you got that right! being unemployeed stinks.

i don't know if i can keep my self from getting Dungeon Delve though, i'd actually rather have this on pdf, and at $15 and change? very cool.

FATDRAGONGAMES

First Post
Hmmm.... ;)

FDG0005C1.jpg

FDg0057Xw7.jpg

FDg0054gg.jpg

FDG0044h.jpg

All 25% off this week!

Voadam

Legend
Voadam,

Can you tell me a little bit more about the War of Burning Sky path and the Throne of Blood books? I'm on the fence with both. I'm not a fan of high level games (10-12th level is normally my cap), which makes me hesitant about the adventure path going to 20th level. With Pathfinder you get a lot of setting material and other goodies with their 6 book arcs. On the Blood Throne, I don't have True 20 Worlds of Adventure yet, but the the listing looked itneresting. Any more details?

Hstio

Sure. :)

I have not gone thru WotBS in detail but it is a nondungeon focused AP with a variety of styles/terrains etc. The first one is set in a city about to be under fantasy magic siege and you must get a person out before the invaders come in and round up all the caster types. The second is a race through a forest where a fey forest fire is raging. There are different factions throughout the series and it looks good. I was going to use it in my homebrew Ptolus campaign if my face to face group voted for fantasy war for my new game, but they voted for pulp style instead (and one vote for Mystery style). As Morrus said there are campaign guide options to go from 1-12, though I haven't read the mid level ones to say how well it would do ending there.

Blood throne is a postapocalyptic high magic fantasy setting and I like those. It has elves reminiscent of the blood elves of Earthdawn. I don't run T20 but I liked the premise enough to buy it just to read and possibly adapt to 3.5, though I have not gotten into it in depth yet.

For levels 1-12 Check out the Necromancer Games sales, they have three 96 page modules designed to take a group from 1-12. Coils of Set (which I'm going to be running as the Pulp one for my group after a short Sinister Adventures intro), Shades of Grey, and Lamentation of Thieves. Coils of Set is basically three adventures (and features a certain female thief of Jack Chick fame) while the others are split up with shorter chapters.

CMG has some good stuff, for $1 I recommend getting the Woodwind module, I bought the superstition book but have not read it yet.

Fat Dragon, please bring back your d20 line supplements, I didn't grab them before they were gone and I'd like to.:)

Remove ads