• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GM's Portable Bookshelf: Design/Engineering

Axegrrl

First Post
As I sit at the computer, I look around and see dang near half of our frequently-used d20 books in various backpacks. When my husband DMs, we play at someone else's house. Since he tries for a game with multiple potential subplots, and the characters might go in any one of a number of directions, we end up bringing a huge pile of books with us. At this point we're up to four backpacks, a flight bag, and the miniatures case -- almost more than the two of us can manage. And we have to haul everything up a flight of stairs once we get there. Once the game starts, it's a question of "which backpack is the ___ in?"

We need something to make transporting and accessing these books easier. Call it the GM's Portable Bookshelf. I've got a few ideas for the thing.

Summary list of requirements:
* Portable -- Wheels, pulling handle, lifting handles (for dealing w/ stairs)
* Rugged -- Cannot fall apart under abuse
* Protect books -- Keep books from getting banged up
* Water-resistant -- Keep books from getting wet if transfer from building to car happens during rain
* Fit through standard doors -- Not useful if you can't get it out of the house
* Horizontal shelf -- Limited usefulness if books are stacked
* Lightweight -- Don't want to add lots of extra weight; books are heavy enough on their own
* Safe -- Books can't fall out if it's tipped the wrong way
* Durable -- Could keep books in it all the time without worrying about shelves sagging, etc.
* Semi-modular -- Need to be able to get the thing up a flight or so of stairs

One other thing, which would be nice:
* Looks good in the living room -- Avoids complaints from in-laws, etc.
(This one isn't an issue for me, but I know gamers who have significant others who would complain if it looked, uh, jurry-rigged.)

So... anyone got any suggestions, for materials, design, construction, etc., or for a some company that could build something like this?

BSF

Explorer
A laptop with a slew of PDF's is a good start for me. :)

Seriously though, how often do you guys really need all the books? I understand about multiple subplots and the need to go in just about any direction. But really, how often do you need to use the books? Is there a real need or is it more just feeling prepared? Even if the PCs go in an unexpected direction, does your husband stop the game to reference his library? Or does he grab his notes and work from there to keep the game flowing without interruption? Maybe you guys can just be a little more relaxed in the preparation side of things and not lug as many books around?

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
Doesn't Rubbermaid manufacture plastic shelves on wheels? I'm almost certain I've seen such a thing at Wal-Mart.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
My first thought when seeing this thread title was, "Ah! New magic item!"

Heh.

Seriously though, there is a fellow who I have seen at local RPGA conventions wheel in a device that I would swear was a tall portable fishing lure box. I mean tall, as in about 4 feet tall. It has three "levels" of boxes, stacked over each other. The boxes are each on rails that slide out. In one box, all of the rule books he needed, with spine up. About 30 hardcover WotC books fit. The next box fit all of his minis (hundreds of them) in a fishing lure box that opened up like you might imagine a fishing lure box might, with mini shelves on hinges all stretching out like wings. The top box had his mini painting supplies, he painted minis while he gamed. I gamed with him, and his painting never interfered with the gaming. Interestingly he could paint about 2 minis per RPGA slot.

This whole device was on wheels, and just like heavy luggage, had a handle that could be pulled out of the back and extended. The top of this thing he used to lay out his character sheet, roll his dice, and keep at least one rule book open at an angle leaning against the extended handle.

About the coolest thing I had ever seen.

lonesoldier

First Post
@eric: That's crazy, crazily AWESOME!

If had an extra thousands dollars or so to throw around I would buy a laptop and scan all my books. If I indexed everything and bookmarked it would be so much easier than flipping through the stack of books at the table.

babomb

First Post
Well, with that many books, I'd suggest deciding whether you REALLY need all of them at the table. As a DM, I find I use little more the core books at the table. The rest I use mainly for prep work. If I need something from another book, I try to make it up on the fly, because the players won't really know the difference. You could further reduce your bookload by printing a cheat sheet for some of the books.

But if you still want a portable bookshelf, there are two easy options I can think of.

1.) Buy a plastic container. I've seen some with wheels, but they're easy to attach anyway. What you're looking for is something of dimensions such that you can fit your books with the spine pointing upward, since the container will probably open from the top. This is a bit taller than most containers, but I'm sure there are some that will work. These sorts of containers usually have handles already. And naturally, they have covers, so rain isn't a problem. Most are stackable, so you could attach wheels to one, stack the others on top, and push the stack around if you need to, but I'd probably just carry them. And you can store them in a closet or under a bed.

2.) Build a bookshelf out of wood. This is a bit more work, and maybe more expensive, but more flexible (and in my opinion, more fun).

You just need to figure out the appropriate dimensions, cut and sand the wood, and screw the boards together. You can make it one shelf high or two as you like, but you probably don't want it taller than that. Handles and wheels are readily available at hardware stores and easy enough to attach. Buy some hinges and catches while you're there, so you can put doors on the front to keep the books from falling out during transit. They'll be mostly protected from the rain too, but if you're worried, cover it with a tarp or sheet. Just varnish or paint it, and it'll look good almost anywhere in the house.

Tinner

First Post
Crystal Caste make a portable miniatures/book case called Battle Chest (IIRC.)
I can't seem to get their site to load, so I don't have details, but it looked good when I last checked on such things.

aco175

Legend
I too saw someone at a convention that seemed to have everything under the sun all packed up on a folding dolly. I seem to remember that he used milk crates to place each of his books in and had a tool box or fishing gear box on top with figures, dice, pencils, etc...

The folding dolly is good if you do not have a lot of space in your vehicle to let everything stand. Use a couple of bungee cords to strap the milk crates to the dolly and you can load each seperately and this allows each crate to have one set of books that you might need. I'm sure it would look rather white trash, but at least it can roll out of the way when the in-laws come over.

Sigurd

First Post
I think for the dolly design the important thing to do is have each interlocking cubby represent how you store your books at home. Plastic milk crates would do if they can be stacked on their side. You'd ideally want to be able to pull books from the tower without pulling it apart to get at them. Once you have an interlocking system come up with a robust set of wheels.

Or, as other have suggested get a laptop. If you consider the value of the books you are not risking by bringing a laptop the price becomes more acceptable.

S

Pluss they are really handy for constantly updating an adventure and tweaking it on the road.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads