• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GMs, why are *you* doing the GMing in your group?

Are you GMing out of desire or necessity?

• I do it for fun

Votes: 178 78.4%
  • I do it because I have to

Votes: 49 21.6%

Morte

Explorer
Some people like GMing, and do it for fun. Others do it because it needs doing -- either it's their turn, or nobody else is prepared to, or because nobody else can do it satisfactorily, or there just wouldn't be a game if they weren't GMing one.

Which are you?

Crothian

First Post
GMing is my favorite part of the game, and that's saying something sinece I really enjoy PCing as well. I'd never ask someone to GM who didn't enjoy doing it. Games are much better when everyone is playing a part they want.

Andre

First Post
I enjoy GMing, as long as I don't do it all the time. A break to be a player is the perfect way to recharge the batteries and get the creative juices flowing.

Crothian said:
I'd never ask someone to GM who didn't enjoy doing it.

Agreed. Just as bad: trying to GM something (a particular system, campaign, module, style) when the players just aren't interested. Really, the game only works well when everyone is having fun.

Morte

Explorer
I GM as a quid pro quo. I don't like GMing sessions as much as playing, and I don't like GM prep at all, but if I GM for the people I play with some of the time then they'll GM for me the rest of it. It beats no gaming at all.

delericho

Legend
Fun, definately. I'm not a very good player - I tend towards rules-lawyering. However, I definately enjoy creative endevours - creating adventures, creating challenges, and creating characters. So, I do that.

Tinner

First Post
There should be a both option.
I love DMing, but the truth is I don't have a lot of choice in the matter.
My primary game group has no one else that can or is willing to do the job.

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
Since I introduced my friends to RPGs years ago, I have been the consistent GM, except for times when others joined the group and took over GM duties.

I think it boils down to me having the most fantasy "literacy" and being able to draw from it to enhance the game from the Game Master side.

I've always enjoyed GMing, except for a few times years ago in our younger years when immaturity in our group would cause disruption.

IronWolf

blank
I GM for fun. I enjoy the prep and getting an idea to put in front of the characters. With that said though, I also enjoy time as a player, as mentioned above playing can act as quite the recharger for when you just need some time to get the creative juices flowing again.

Remove ads