• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gnolls, gnolls, glorious gnolls

Woas

First Post
When I used gnolls as the star antagonists in a former game of mine, I depicted them like Vietcong. They moved like ghosts in the woodlands and used extensive tunnels to aid their stealth and appear anywhere, anytime to spring an ambush and disappear after some initial damage was dealt. Basically the ideal guerrilla fighter. It really annoyed the players because they are used to being able to kick in the door, slaughter a half dozen orcs, get some gold and have it be over and done with. :cool:

szilard

First Post
Back in this thread, I suggested:

szilard said:
Gnolls
Gnolls are scavengers and raiders, but - despite what others think - it isn't because they are lazy. Gnolls have a deep-seated respect for life, and will not take the life of another - even a plant - unless it can fight back. Thus, their lifestyle revolves around finding enough to eat. They usually subsist on scavenged goods - already dead animal or plant matter. They'll often move into agricultural areas and pick fruits and vegetables when they can do so without killing the plant... or raid the stockpiles that farmers have. This, of course, often brings them into conflict with other humanoids... and that gives them a rare source of fresh meat.

...which I still think is sort of a fun take on them.

-Stuart

Cyberhawk

Community Supporter
Gnolls can be a lot of fun. There's a few things to remember about them:

They usually work with hyenas and dire hyenas.

They're slavers, although they treat the slaves poorly and tend to eat them. This is good if you ever end up with a TPK and don't want to start over. They'll happily take the PC's captive. (especially the tasty ones)

Gnolls have a demon lord who looks out for them specifically (Yeenoghu). This means you have a perfect explanation for gnoll warlocks, half-fiends and demon support at higher level encounters.

As stated before they're favored class is Ranger so I always run them with multiple hunting parties out harrassing their prey, within horn or magical signals in case one runs up against something fierce. They'll be able to track the PCs easily.

Also thanks to the whole "dog-headed" thing they work really well in ancient egyptian-themed adventures.

Korgoth

First Post
theskyfullofdust said:
I am planning on building a campaign wherein the main baddies are gnolls.

What background, history, etc do we have on gnolls from all the various editions, books and manuals?

Anyone are to chip in? I'm at work at the moment and my books are all at home, and my mind is working overtime on ideas that I'd like to write down.

Any input welcome.

In Original D&D (the 3 Brown Books), Gnolls are not hyena-based at all. They are a cross between a troll and a gnome. The picture in Vol. 2 is of a hunched creature with a powerful physique, pointy ears and predatory features (wearing armor and holding an axe). There is also a reference there to Lord Dunsany, presumably to his story "How Nuth Would Have Practised His Art Upon the Gnoles".

Voadam

Legend
There is a free pdf module on rpgnow by Creative Mountain Games, one of the cooperative dungeons, that features gnolls. I forget the name but one of the late ones I think.

johnnype

First Post
Another obvious place to look is anywhere Yeenoghu (demon prince of gnolls) is mentioned. Monster Manual (1977), page 19; Monster Mythology, page 83; Book of Vile Darkness, page 140; Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss, pages 78-79. I love wikipedia.

I also like the gnolls presented in Green Ronin's Hamunaptra setting. They are the Egyptian jakal headed variety mentioned above. You used to be able to get a free preview of the race and stats from www.drivethrurpg.com but the link seems to be down.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads