• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gnome Art Preview

Wormwood

Adventurer
Devyn said:
In a word ... ugh.

I definitely agree with Relique. Looks like the Gnome gene pool has undergone some serious tampering.
gnomeat4.jpg

That tampering was loooooong overdue.

Klaus

First Post
Kamikaze Midget said:
This gnome hate baffles me.

The guy looks fine. He looks 300,000,000 times better than the mesh-shirt gangster cambion that is the deserving target of all the hate.

Everyone expecting to see a cartoon in the MM is smoking up something strong. He's a fey creature, he looks like a fey creature, 90% of fey creatures bear some similarity to elves (who also happen to be fey creatures), the black eyes are alien enough, and he's surrounded by nature and magic, two things that gnomes have always been mythically into.

I can't believe that this could be hated by anyone who didn't have unreasonable expectations? I mean, not being a fan of the artwork I guess I can kind of empathize with (subjectivity and all), but a cartoon and a MM entry are going to have different needs, guys. :p
No one is asking for the cartoon to be in the MM, just the cartoon's design for the gnome.

Kamikaze Midget said:
This gnome hate baffles me.

The guy looks fine. He looks 300,000,000 times better than the mesh-shirt gangster cambion that is the deserving target of all the hate.
Gangsters? I thought Klingons? The Duras sisters, to be more precise. (Lursa and B'tor?). ;)
Having no idea how a Cambion is supposed to look like, it looks okay to me.

The Gnome. It doesn't look like a Halfling to me. That's worth a lot to me. I don't think this Gnome looks particularly... good, but only in a beauty contest sense (if I was mad enough to try to vote on a male demihuman beauty contest) ;)

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Gangsters? I thought Klingons? The Duras sisters, to be more precise. (Lursa and B'tor?).
Having no idea how a Cambion is supposed to look like, it looks okay to me.

Well, my problem is MORE with the mesh shirt. I get the weirdness when my D&D monsters resemble goth kids in halloween costumes. ;)

Klaus said:
No one is asking for the cartoon to be in the MM, just the cartoon's design for the gnome.

Keeps the wierd black eyes and the pale skin...the MM gnome just looks less like a rustic badger-farmer, more like an underhill sprite, IMO.

Zamkaizer

First Post
I really need to stop looking at picture, because I'm disliking it more and more. Seriously, it looks like Ian Holm made a disastrous visit to the salon and was so distressed by the results that he couldn't hold a proper pose at his 3 o'clock photo shoot.

How is it that Wayne Reynolds's gnome illustration for Pathfinder was closer to the breath of fresh air previewed in the cartoons? I don't care if it has ailerons for eyebrows, it has a minion.

And the era of short, plump gnomes has been over for a long time. Since Nebin appeared in the Player's Handbook, in fact.

lutecius

Explorer
Leatherhead said:
Black eyes, spiked hair, pointed ears. I think the only difference other than clothing is this gnome looks serious where the cartoon was comical.
but how can he keep a straight face in that outfit?

Voss said:
He does look a bit like a tiefling. I can't tell if thats really supposed to be hair, or if gnomes have been crossbreeding with satyrs.
and that gnome is looking for his daddy...[sblock][
98730.jpg
[/sblock]

I generally like Mimura's art, but this one is a miss for me.
And I don't know if he has been in the woods a lot but walking around in flowing gowns doesn’t strike me as a good idea.
... unless it’s just the gnome’s maho-shojo uniform and he uses that unwieldy ribboned stick to transform.

Really, I didn't like the cartoon's halfling/alien/werewolf crossbreed but this is ridiculous.
why not keep the hobbit/tinker/leprechaun look, now that halflings are dreadlocked swamp rats?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads