• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gnome Art Preview

RPG_Tweaker

Explorer
I really dig Mimura's stuff, but this "gnome" is not very inspiring at all.

Apparently I've been too tainted by the clever and endearing cartoon character.

Oni

First Post
With the way the media is shaping the image of the gnome and halfling soon their won't be any room left for average folk, grey hairs, wrinkes, or potbellies. I figure there will be a rise in depression as it becomes harder and harder for the self-image of these wee folk to compete against unrealistic standards set by WotC.

or something like that.

I can understand WotC wanting to differentiate between halflings and hobbits, I can understand wanting to make gnomes more appealing by doing away with the chubby little greybeards. Nebin was cool, though different he still seemed gnomish. The most important feature of the race, their defining characteristic, and why it's such as shame they're not in the PHB is they were the quirky race. Gnomes should be quirky and eccentric and look the part IMO. Nebin = pass, new gnome = fail.

JohnSnow

Hero
Oni said:
I can understand WotC wanting to differentiate between halflings and hobbits, I can understand wanting to make gnomes more appealing by doing away with the chubby little greybeards. Nebbin was cool, though different he still seemed gnomish. The most important feature of the race, their defining characteristic, and why it's such as shame they're not in the PHB is they were the quirky race. Gnomes should be quirky and eccentric and look the part IMO. Nebin = pass, new gnome = fail.

"I don't think that word means what you think it means."

Gimble was (kinda) cool - and very gnomish. Nebbin was most decidedly not cool.

Oni

First Post
JohnSnow said:
"I don't think that word means what you think it means."

Gimble was (kinda) cool - and very gnomish. Nebbin was most decidedly not cool.

I guess it's just a matter of taste. To me Gimble was ok, but I liked Nebbin's look better. Three good illustrations immediately come to mind when I think of Nebbin, the first one from the 3e PHB, the cover of Tome and Blood, and the illustration for the split ray feat. It's almost enough to get me to play a gnome. Gimble....less inspiring.

The new gnome causes me vague feelings of illness and makes me not want to play a gnome at all. icky.

Kishin

First Post
MaelStorm said:
This is what a Gnome should look like

A thousand times no.

No. More. Tinker. Gnomes.

Please.

Destil said:
You know... that looks nothing at all like the elves in the most recent magic sets...

It doesn't, to me. Lorwyn Elves have much more angular faces, and horns.

Klaus said:
I took the picture and slapped a few pixels about to make it not only closer to the cartoon gnome (pale greenish skin), but maily to make the figure composition a bit more solid.

I actually like those changes a lot, Claudio. The pale green skin really fits. You really accentuated the fey side even further, and fixed up the anatomical issues.

If only you could smuggle it into the PHB. ;)

Last edited:

Kzach

Banned
Banned
frankthedm said:
Ther 4E MM gnome is one of the few gnomes I don't feel need killing. Maybe because it is a gnome in gname only. Still, being a member of The Cult of the Anti-Gnome, I wait patiently for the day D&D is gnome free.
Right-on, brutha!

My gnome hate began as a child when a nasty little gnome stole me from my comfy crib and hung me from a tree like a pinata with a sign on me that said, "Smack me, I'm a cry-baby!"

And throughout my life they've plagued me ever since with annoying illusions, terrible poems, awful singing, Grobnar and then those horrid little Arcane mages with their slow spell and pink pig-tails.

All. Gnomes. Must. Die.

lutecius

Explorer
Klaus said:
I took the picture and slapped a few pixels about to make it not only closer to the cartoon gnome (pale greenish skin), but maily to make the figure composition a bit more solid.

[sblock]
44948125b5e8b707.jpg
[/sblock]
But he's still wearing a dress :eek: ...in the woods!!!

Except for the wand, which is somewhat less silly, this version combines the worst of both worlds.

The hair spikes actually bothered me less than the dirty yellow skin and bare feet from the cartoon... and the dress!!!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads