• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gnome Campaign

Furtive Noise

First Post
I'm starting a new side campaign with friends and we've decided to try an all gnome group. Everyone will have a reason to work together and trust eachother as they can all be a part of an extended gnome family. Better yet, I'm thinking that they can all be a part of a traveling gnome circus or performing troop of some kind. Hopefully they will get themselves into all kinds of odd adventure and trouble, but I was wondering if the creative minds here might have any brainstorming ideas for adventures I could prepare, gnomish pranks, or the make up of the troup- caged exotic animals, grand illusion displays, whatever. I see this as an opportunity to Dm weird adventures beyond the typical 'gather in a bar, motivated by loot and money, thanks for the quest mr. old wizard' kind of campaign (which is closer to the usual one I'm running). I think there will be a rogue/wizard inventor, a straight illusionist, and perhaps a gnome paladin as pc's, as well as one or two others yet to be determined. We'll set it somewhere in the Forgotten Realms, not quite sure where though. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Furtive Noise

First Post
Just one last bump before the thread fades into oblivion. Could really use a good location in the FR or a couple of starting adventure ideas as I've been blanking lately. Thanks

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
While wandering with a circus, some creature begins to control the mind of their Ringmaster, who orders them to wage war against the local village insted of performing for them.

Ghostmoon

First Post
Just a couple of ideas:

The traveling show/circus is actually a clever cover by the gnomes to fight some widely dispersed evil organization. Most adventures could begin with the group rolling into town to fight some evil scheme/machination of the organization. Unfortunately, I am not too familiar with the Realms and I can't suggest such an organization…but I am sure some out there can assist.

This presents an interesting opportunity. In most cases, beginning heroes will have to defend a town/keep/whatever (their support network) from the evils/wilds surrounding it. In time, the group will have to leave this behind, as they will outgrow it. In this scenario, the situation is reversed: Their support network travels along with them and their surroundings constantly change. This gives you a chance to really develop the NPCs and the PCs relations with them.

As for interesting creatures and such, now is the time to get really creative with templates. Half-Dragon, Half-Fey (from MM2), and Half-Machine (from Dungeon Magazine, Issue 94, I believe) all come to mind as good and interesting additions to a circus. Also, the circus may be a refuge for generally evil creatures that have somehow reformed (I could see bugbear strongmen and umberhulk hypnotists).

One last idea I had was that the gnome's circus is actually located on a demiplane and the wandering carts that form the caravan have gates to the demiplane. I could see the demiplane as being relatively small and the environmental condition always being similar to twilight on a warm summer night: The perfect time to visit the circus.

Hope this helps!
Ghostmoon

Remove ads