• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Gnome&Halfling Weaponry Adjustments

StriderUrbs

First Post
So besides the standar height regulations, I figure there are other restrictions on using certain weapons. I mean, come on: a halfling toting around a longsword in one hand?
And also, like how in LotR, the Hobbits use the daggers of the Dúnedain (who are admittedly tall, but not considerably so) as near-full-sized swords...

So I would lay out some rules, and if tere are any adjustments you would make, tell me...these are primarily to help work out smaller characters better:

•Small characters cannot use Heavy weapons
•Small characters must use Versatile weapons as two-handed weapons
•Only weapons with both the finesse and light qualities count as finesse weapons, and only Daggers and Light Hammers count as light weapons for small characters
•Smaller versions of standard weapons may be created for small characters, each doing 1d4 (min. 1 damage) less than the standard version

Likewise it would be similarly so for large characters, but there are no standard playable large characters.

Lanliss

Explorer
In my (extremely) brief look into Pathfinder, I noticed they had size adjustment charts for weapons. Small-huge for each weapon. You might look into that?

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
•Small characters cannot use Heavy weapons
•Small characters must use Versatile weapons as two-handed weapons
•Only weapons with both the finesse and light qualities count as finesse weapons, and only Daggers and Light Hammers count as light weapons for small characters
•Smaller versions of standard weapons may be created for small characters, each doing 1d4 (min. 1 damage) less than the standard version
If I wanted to add rules like that, I would be sure to provide a compensating bonus for small characters. Otherwise you're just screwing them over compared to the book rules. Maybe +1 AC vs attackers that are Large or bigger.

(Of course, the first item in your list is the one book rule about it.)

Last edited:

aco175

Legend
It has not come up in my game, but we would have some of your suggestions where they cannot use 2-handed weapons and may use some weapons only as 2-handed. To get too in depth would be too much work and cross over the line of fun/realism. Some rules are just accepted like knocking a snake prone. To make divisions on daggers if they do the same damage would cross this as well, just go with some of it until it needs something.

Can't use Heavy - already a rule, I think.
i like the versatile = 2H, makes sense. The simpler rule may be that you use it 2H but only do 1H damage.

beyond that I don't think you need much changes. Eg long sword is equivalent to a greatsword physically for a Halfling, but still only does 1d8. They can make smaller versions of eg maces, flails etc.

Lanliss

Explorer
I have a question that is relevant to this. What do they get in return? Are Small races just automatically worse than all others? What reason would someone have to play such a race, aside from RP purposes? The Halfling has Lucky, which is pretty nice, but what about Gnomes?

Draegn

Explorer
We houserule:

A weapon half your character's height can be used with one hand.
A weapon between a half and two-thirds your character's height can be used either one handed or two handed.
A weapon greater than two-thirds your character's height must be used with two hands.
The maximum size weapon your character can use is three times his height.

The maximum size bow a character can use is equal to his height.

famousringo

First Post
I have a question that is relevant to this. What do they get in return? Are Small races just automatically worse than all others? What reason would someone have to play such a race, aside from RP purposes? The Halfling has Lucky, which is pretty nice, but what about Gnomes?
Gnomish spell resistance is supposed to be their special trick, I think.

But you're right, if small races are going to drop down a die size pretty much across the board, they should get something in return.

And might I add, the rule where they roll 1d4 negative damage is particularly cumbersome and onerous. I know Enlarge/Reduce works that way, but it's trying to simulate a special temporary situation. What a pain in the ass it would be to do that all the time.

zeldafan42

First Post
Can I ask why this rule is necessary? I feel like it mostly just punishes players who want to play a Small race as anything other than a rogue or a caster.

The way I see it, weapon damage die are an abstraction anyways. When I say my Gnome Paladin of the Sea weilds a trident, I'm not picturing her using a trident sized for a human, as hilarious as that would look. She's using a gnomish trident, made to fit her stature. A trident that may be smaller but is no less deadly.

Besides, there's like, no correlation between weapon size and damage die anyways. A thin little rapier is just as deadly as a heavy battle axe. Not to mention, there is zero mechanical difference between that battle axe and a long sword or a war hammer.

5E has a much more cinematic approach to combat, and a big part of that is done by making weapons more abstract. Trying to load lots of "realistic" restrictions on Small races and the weapons they can or can't wield bogs that down and mostly just serves to restrict people from playing Small races in certain classes, especially if you're not giving them anything in return like 3.5 and Pathfinder's +1 to hit and AC.

If you're really that bothered by it, then I would just make a separate table of "Small weapons" that have a step smaller damage die, so a d10 weapon becomes a d8, d8 to a d6, etc. Not sure how to step down a d4...either a d3 or a d2 would work. Then just make it so Small characters can only wield Small weapons and don't be surprised if no one ever wants to play a Small race as a weapon using class.

Remove ads