• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gnomes and Stealth

Negflar2099

Explorer
How does a gnome's reactive stealth ability work? It seems to require only that the gnome have cover or concealment at the start of an encounter (or whenever initiative is rolled) to make a stealth check (as opposed to superior cover or total concealment). Is that right?

If so does that mean the gnome can use his big old dragonborn buddy to allow him to make a stealth check (since allies provide cover) or is this part of the "allies cannot be used as cover for stealth checks" new rule in stealth?

Thanks.

By the way I apologize if this question has already been answered. My search-fu is not strong today.

Dalzig

First Post
I think the "allies" rule would still apply. I'd definitely rule that the gnome must be trying a little bit harder than "I always stand behind the tall/fat guy."

Regular cover or concealment, it is in the text for Reactive Stealth, PHB2 10. Of course you still have to somehow manage to get into a position from there where you can sneak up, or hope you're starting in range of the enemy or can get the enemy to approach.

It is a nice power at times. Other times it may not apply or may be of little benefit.

Eldorian

First Post
Regular cover or concealment, it is in the text for Reactive Stealth, PHB2 10. Of course you still have to somehow manage to get into a position from there where you can sneak up, or hope you're starting in range of the enemy or can get the enemy to approach.

It is a nice power at times. Other times it may not apply or may be of little benefit.

It's mainly useful for Warlocks, since they have concealment anytime they're walking through a dungeon.

Oompa

First Post
The power says if you have any cover or concealment..

So standing behind an ally counts to, look at the pic in phb page 280..

The troll has cover for standing behind the goblin..

Wolfwood2

Explorer
If you're playing a gnome, it's advisable to think carefully when the DM asks you to put your miniatures on the board. Don't be afraid to ask about random barrels, chairs, sacks of grain, or other items that might conceivably be in the room but that the DM didn't bother to draw on the battlemat. Explain that your PC always stays near some form of cover, "just in case".

Malachi_rc

First Post
Well, it's true that an ally gives cover, so you could hide behind them.

HOWEVER, you only stay hidden as long as you have cover or concealment, and allies don't count for that purpose in the stealth rules. So you can hide behind them for about a quarter second, but then enemies see you.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads