• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gnomes' niche in the D&D world

Wormwood

Adventurer
I'm just lame enough to really like the Tinker stereotype. Sorry, but I do.

I've replaced the Forest/Rock Gnomes with the (modified) Arcane Gnome variant from an old Dragon:

+2 Int, -2 Wis• Favored Class: Wizard
• Low-Light Vision
• +2 on Listen & Alchemy checks
• +1 Racial bonus on attacks against Kobolds
• +4 Dodge bonus to AC vs. Giant
• Use Magical Device is always a Class Skill
1st level Arcane Spells:
Ghost Sound
Prestidigitation

Last edited:

ThirdWizard

First Post
In my campaign, gnomes live secluded from humanity and mostly interact with dwarves. I actually did away with elves in the world (well not did away with, but they're off screen), and the gnomes took over part of their niche. They're the arcane magical race, guardians of ancient knowlege. They're also very frivolous in their use of magic and enjoy making fun of and pulling pranks on "lesser" races. Their main kingdom is a giant set of caverns, not unlike dwarven kingdoms, except laced with magic and a low technology.

For example, the gnome king is an ancient wizard of great knowlege and lore who also likes to cast levetate on himself above everyone and has a cape that constantly flows in a breeze.

In the world, wandering gnomes tend toward rogues and bards, since there is not real base of operation outside of their gnomish habitat. There are no gnomish quarter to cities and no gnomish inns, because they're so very rare. Common people often don't believe they even exist, and when they're seen they're often mistaken for halflings. It's not easy being a gnome.

skinnydwarf

Explorer
So, you like all the different types of gnomes?

In my campaign, I just put all of them in! All the other races have different linked societies (ie, high elves and wood elves split ages ago over religious differences), but the gnomes do not. There is no one "gnome nation," nor was there ever. There was never enough of them. They are simply far flung communities with their own unique cultures. So tinker gnomes, forest gnomes, + others are all represented, plus some others.

ThirdWizard

First Post
skinnydwarf said:
So, you like all the different types of gnomes?
Havn't you ever heard the term "gnome of all trades"? :D
Humans arn't the only ones who arn't all exactly the same, though some might not agree. ;)

Besides, where would we be without gnomes? We wouldn't have the term "gnome-tastic" and all those "you know what they say about men with big noses' jokes!

Pyske

Explorer
A couple more possibilities:

In campaigns where Elves and Dwarves have cities and nations which interact and trade with the human cultures, Gnomes can fill the role of the reclusive, hidden civilization which has esoteric and mysterious arcane knowledge. They live in wilderness and protect their civilization through illusion and nature lore.

You can make them the ground-based analog of the Elves. While Elves live in the tree-tops, Gnomes live among the roots and tunnels. Draw analogs to Elves as representing the predator species and Gnomes allied with the prey species of the forest.

Give the races elemental natures. Elves are of the Wood, Dwarves are of Fire (mining, ironworking, industry & crafts), Gnomes of Earth, Halflings of Air (wide open spaces, give them an affinity with birds, etc.)

In my Rain campaign world, Gnomes tend to live in the breakers, coral reefs and rocks which are just at the waterline (not high enough to be an island, and not calm enough to be a swamp). They shape the coral and stone into homes which are generally submerged at high tide, with visible roofs at low tide.

. . . . . . . -- Eric

Urbannen

First Post
Gnarlo said:
In my Forgotten Realms campaign, I took a page from Douglas Adams and turned the gnomes into the overseers and custodians of the world, like the mice were for Earth. They are the tinkerers behind the scenes; adjusting the balances and powers to keep the Realms moving toward *their* vision of How Things Should Be. Just like the mice, the other races suspect nothing, thinking gnomes are funny at best, ridiculous and powerless at worst; which, of course, fits right into the gnomes master plan.

Only a hand full of individuals outside the Gnomish community know about this; in fact, less than 1% of gnomes know about it. The race of gnomes is organized like the Masons or Shriners in my campaign (helps to explain those red pointy hats as well :) ). The Gnomish Powers encourage their members to be tinkers, artisans, and illusionists, expecting this way that the cream of the cream will rise to the top and reveal themselves as being ready to be inducted into the deeper Mysteries.

When my players get high enough to start thinking of planes travelling, they will stumble across the Great Mission, and learn that the gnomes are the Spelljamming representatives of Faerun, sent here to look after the planet and shepherd the cultures toward being ready to join the universe at large.

Wow! That's really cool!

My take on gnomes is that they should be treated as an exotic dwarvish sub-race that live in very specific locations. I don't think it makes sense for gnomes to compose 1% of the population of every human city - would you want to live among non-magical giant people if you were a gnome? Gnomes should live in hidden enclaves. If they live near humans, they only venture out occasionally to play tricks. They try to avoid being seen. Some gnomes might be found living in dwarven communities, however, as a minority.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads