Gnomes vs. Halflings - Demihuman genocide!

Gnomes vs. Halflings!

• Gnomes!

Votes: 89 42.6%
  • Halflings!

Votes: 120 57.4%

Gez

First Post
Halflings were thrown in at the last minute to score sales from the LotR fans, just like the orcs. As such, they're not genuine, tried & true pulp fantasy and do not deserve to be in the game.

Gnomes, on the other hand, rock. As long as you don't get anywhere near Dragonlance, Spelljammer, or the new Forgotten Realms that forgot that Lantan is a human nation.

Someone

Adventurer
Humans should exterminate them both, and then grief abouth the cultural loss and make movies with Tom Cruise and Kevin Costner. "The last halfling" and "Dances with gnomes" sound right.

Conaill

First Post
Forget about the races for now. Here's three archetypes I would like to keep:

1) Friendly, nature loving fey. This is the archetypes closest to the mythological gnomes (some shades of Tolkien's Hobbits as well, actually). I would much rather see these guys as *actual* fey with magical abilities, rather than some but otherwise very human-like race.

2) Tinkers. No particularly strong reason why they should be Small, although their size does somewhat restrict the spread of technological gadgets, and when things eventually do blow up, the explosion might be proportionally smaller. :D

3) Sticky-fingered pranksters. This archetype seems to have been adopted for Halflings in 3.X, although this is very far from their original Hobbit roots.

None of these include illusionist Wizards with pint-sized spellbooks, or traveling bards (although "traveling bard" might be a good day job for a sticky-fingered prankster).

As long as these archetypes remain available, I don't particularly care if gnomes and/or halflings are removed. But if Gnomes stay, I would greatly prefer if they were returned to their mythological roots or small magical fey. And if Halflings stay, they should probably be returned to their roots of jovial, rotund and somewhat reclusive Hobbits...

jeff37923

First Post
Halflings are the only ones fit to live on.

Gnomes must all die. There should such a gnomish armageddon that entire regions should have their landscape shaped by the gnomish skeletons - the Gnome Bone Hills and such.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
I voted halflings, because I personally think they are actually poorly designed and thus they have an unfair advantage in their niche. They'd be left over just because they're unfairly geared for the rogue niche.

Seriously, the person who designed a halfling essentially said, "Lets look at the rogue class. What can make the rogue better?" Check on saves, move silently, small type, etc....

Then they said "What negatives can we give this race so that it doesn't hurt the rogue?" Minus to strength because its damage will be from sneak attack anyway, etc...

I've yet to have a halfling in any game I've played in that wasn't a rogue. I personally dislike races that are obviously geared for any one class. To me the true test of a race is if they can be played in two classes. If so, then cool. If they can make a legitimate 3 or more classes, then they rock.

Gnomes make good bards or wizards. Even half-orcs can make decent barbarians, fighters, and even clerics! Elves can be good wizards, sorcerers, clerics, fighters, and rogues.

But Halflings? Sure, people play the halfling paladin as a joke. But tell me you don't immediately associate halfling with rogue.

taliesin15

First Post
Kind of a strange idea that WoTC would consider eliminating either one! How bout eliminating some of the prestige classes or alternative races like half dragon first? Both gnome and halfling are too ingrained. Hobbits are famous, and gnomes are extensively cited in historical fantasy literature. Very, very odd. I always liked the idea of the gnome as a trickster type, prone to using Illusionist class. The whole thing makes one wonder if there's simply a lack of ideas in the development of 4E.

Remove ads