• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Go go godzilla!!!!

Belzbet

First Post
I am sure this has came up before but, what do you guys think Godzilla would look like in D&D terms??

It isnt a mere dinosaur and it isnt a dragon either.

It could be a half-dragon [Godzilla shoots what seems to be electricity, so maybe a half blue dragon]/tarrasque; instead of wings this half dragon has its protruding spine that gives off electricity (or whatever kind of energy that is, maybe sonic of force energy). To stay true to the god///zilla name we can give it the god-blooded template (make one up for tiamat that gives the creature extra breath attacks perday and something else) and the paragon creature template (in the epic level handbook).

It awoken from deep within the earth (similar to a tarrasque) and it has obvious similarities to a dragon. And i can see that the mix of the two would look like Godzilla.

What do you guys think???

Last edited:

buddhafrog

First Post
dragons3_komodo3_photo_01_md.jpg

A little like this guy (McFarlane Dragons series 3, Komodo dragon - can be bought for around $12). I used it for a demon BBEG for my campaign. It's taller but more narrow than WotC's Icingdeath Dragon "mini". My players sort of got very quiet when I set him on the table....

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ns3M1Sj6x4o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
edit: youtube video of evil laughter - embed failure

Last edited:

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
I always assumed the Tarrasque was directly inspired by Godzilla. I can see how adding a Lightning Breath Weapon would make it more Godzilla-like, but I honestly don't think you won't need more than that.
Tarrasque.gif

Godzilla98.jpg

Yeah, it's the American image and not the classic, but this is what I've got in my mind.

images

Last edited:

Samloyal23

Adventurer
Take the tarasque, add the Kaiju template and a breath weapon of your choice. I think gas or electricity would be more gojira-ish than fire or sonic...

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Take the tarasque, add the Kaiju template and a breath weapon of your choice. I think gas or electricity would be more gojira-ish than fire or sonic...

Actually, Godzilla's "breath weapon" was an Atomic Blast.

In other words, that sucker is Nuclear (1.21 Gigawatts to be exact...);)

So a combination of Fire and Sonic is more appropriate than either Gas or Electricity (or both).

B-)

Samloyal23

Adventurer
Actually, Godzilla's "breath weapon" was an Atomic Blast.

In other words, that sucker is Nuclear (1.21 Gigawatts to be exact...);)

So a combination of Fire and Sonic is more appropriate than either Gas or Electricity (or both).

B-)

Well, what does "atomic" mean in game terms? If you mean its radiation than use the rules from Gamma World for a radioactive blast. If it's plasma, then it would be a superheated gas. I don't see where the sonic part comes in.

Last edited:

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Well, what does "atomi" mean in game terms? If you mean its radiation than use the rules from Gamma World for a radioactive blast. If it's plasma, then it would be a superheated gas. I don't see where the sonic part comes in.

Godzilla was embodiment of Japanese fears of Nuclear Weapons. His "breath weapon" was essentially an Atomic Blast, not just Radioactive.

An Atomic Blast has three components: Heat, Force (Blast), and Sound.

Since D&D doesn't have anything that perfectly fits that, Heat and Sonic (sound) are are more appropriate. If you can find an appropriate D&D breath weapon for the Blast component, then by all means use it. But neither gas nor electricity fit any of those components.

The most common Gas Breath Weapons in D&D are: 3E - Green Dragon's Corrosive Acid Gas, Bronze Dragon's Repulsion Gas (makes victim run away), Copper Dragon's Slow Gas (victim is slowed), Gold Dragon's Weakening Gas (victim loses Strength points), Gorgon's Petrifying Gas; 4E - Well, 4E's a bit confusing on this. I don't see Gas specifically mentioned anywhere, the Green Dragon's Breath Weapon is now Poison, the Gorgon's also (but it still petrifies - and also has Thunder and Lightning at higher levels:erm:), and Metallic Dragons aren't in MM1:confused: (and all I have are the first three core books).

None of those Gas Breath Weapons have any type of Force or Blast effect.

B-)

gdmcbride

First Post
Godzilla is not a monster (in D&D terms).

Godzilla is free-roaming natural disaster.

Wizards blasting Godzilla with magic is the fantasy equivalent of the JDF using heat cannons. All it does is anger the Big G and he retaliates.

To stop Godzilla you don't use heat cannons, you use plucky young scientists with a crazy idea. Even then, you don't defeat the Big G, you drive it off poignantly into the ocean doubtless to return another day.

And then you say something like "History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of men." Or something like that.

Gary "Go! Go! Godzilla!" McBride
Fire Mountain Games -- maker of "Way of the Wicked" Pathfinder's only evil adventure path

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads