Go to Hell. Go Directly to Hell. Do Not Pass Go. Do Not Collect 200 Larvae.

fusangite

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
Fusangite, I deleted your real-world religion post. I've saved the data, so if you want to post it in some other location and put a link to it here that is fine, but I've already said no real-world religion in this thread please.
Was someone actually offended by the information? I limited everything I wrote to historical information with no statements of belief or judgement. I had assumed that what you were attempting to avoid was faith-based statements. The information I posted is taught in every theology, religious studies and divinity program run by mainstream Christian and Jewish denominations.

It seems to me that it is very difficult to discuss what hell is if we don't understand that Sheol/Hades were developed with no sense that the afterlife constituted a judgement of how one had behaved in this life. Have you removed the questions to which the post responded like when the concept of hellfire appeared historically? I felt I was doing a service to the thread. And it is evidently permissable for other posters to discuss Dante's Catholicism, questions of the evolution of Christian ideas of the afterlife and to declare existentialist positions.

Anyway, I'd take you up on your offer to post it somewhere else and link to it but that's kind of beyond my technical skills.

However, despite my obvious annoyance, I of course bow to your judgement; in fact, I consider you to be one of the best and most level-headed moderator ENWorld has.

Mytholder

WmRAllen67 said:
An interesting recent literary treatment of Hell is in Edward Lee's City Infernal. As humanity has progressed, so has hell, which is now a sprawling city run on human suffering (one damned soul can power a city block for an eternity). However, it remains, in its most basic aspect, a place created by Lucifer for the express purpose of offending God.

Wow. That's very close to the basic concept of my Infernum game (out soon from Mongoose). I must grab that book...

Remove ads