• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Goblin Dog Range companions

Gicko

First Post
So i want to get a Goblin dog companion for my lvl 4 bugbear ranger, but according to this page the goblin dog gets a "4th level advancement" thing. Dose that mean the goblin dog has a separate EXP bar then my ranger and starts at lvl 1 ish? or is the first size category just for druids who choose a goblin dog as an animal companion, and it gets larger once the druid reaches lvl 4?

BryonD

Hero
If you actually read the rules you will find the phrase "effective druid level" in the ranger section about animal companions.

You are welcome.

Guillaume

Julie and I miss her
So i want to get a Goblin dog companion for my lvl 4 bugbear ranger, but according to this page the goblin dog gets a "4th level advancement" thing. Dose that mean the goblin dog has a separate EXP bar then my ranger and starts at lvl 1 ish? or is the first size category just for druids who choose a goblin dog as an animal companion, and it gets larger once the druid reaches lvl 4?

The animal companion rules are build for the druid and that class is used as the baseline. When calculating level effects with any other class, like the ranger, you must use your ranger level-4 to find the effective druid level. In your example, your bubgbear ranger has an effective druid level 1. Your goblin dog will be able to increase in size once your ranger reaches level 8 (effective druid level 4).

Gicko

First Post
The animal companion rules are build for the druid and that class is used as the baseline. When calculating level effects with any other class, like the ranger, you must use your ranger level-4 to find the effective druid level. In your example, your bubgbear ranger has an effective druid level 1. Your goblin dog will be able to increase in size once your ranger reaches level 8 (effective druid level 4).

ahh ok, awsome. thanks.

ffanxii4ever

First Post
ranger level - 3, but otherwise you are correct. (Otherwise when you get the animal companion at level 4, you have an effective druid level of 0, and what do you do?!!?!?)

Guillaume

Julie and I miss her
ranger level - 3, but otherwise you are correct. (Otherwise when you get the animal companion at level 4, you have an effective druid level of 0, and what do you do?!!?!?)

That's what I get for explaining rules I rarely use from memory without checking the book first. :(

Remove ads