• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Goblin housecat hunter.

Donny Rhye

First Post
So I was listening to the RPG Academy podcast Goblin Paste from April 6th. It gave me a bizarre idea for a 1st level encounter. Picture a goblin covered in house cat hides petting a rat. The players have been hired by a local to get rid of the rats in a basement. As they wonder around town they see missing house cat signs all over town. Would drop clues around town to the source of the rat problem. Any thoughts on how to enhance this idea?

Donny Rhye

First Post
Was thinking the goblin could a lvl 2 ranger or druid. Gonna tie it in with a pack of ratlings based out of either the sewers or an out of town base. Then connect the ratlings into another race of humanoids they trade with. Maybe have a kidnapping and a trade going on with some slavers from the surface world that led to and Underdark group of slavers.

Housecat: it's what's for dinner!

How about a cabal of wererats who have hired the goblin cat catchers? Maybe one of the goblins has something that attracts cats -- the Pied Piper of Hameln, only in reverse.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
How about a Rat God cult? Perhaps one member could even speak with rats, making their proliferation the basis for a great information network...

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Think I would lean to giant spiders rather than rats. Benefits from this; poison, riding animal, swarms, climbing, traps (web or trap doors).

Remove ads