• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Goblin Picador

Novem5er

First Post
Yep, I love the Picadore.

I thought up an alternative version of a goblin ridding on the back of a giant frog, which uses it's sticky tongue to make similar "harpoon" attacks on single opponents. I haven't statted it out yet, but the idea is there.

Regarding the Harpoon... I don't imagine it as a simple spear with a single point. I imagine it more of a spear with large barbs and hooks on it. Even if the spear point "misses" the target, all the hooks and barbs will still catch on the target's clothing, armor, and shield. This allows the DM to describe why a characters is "hooked" without them actually being impaled on a spear.

VBMEW-01

First Post
Cadfan said:
But he does seem to be functioning as a controller, albeit a low level one trick pony controller. Which for a monster is fine.

This makes me wonder, and hope once more, that some weapons might allow fighters, and everyone really, the chance to borrow a bit from the other roles.

Very cool if true.

Roger

First Post
If you like one of these guys, try out a lot of them.

Three or four of them surrounding a harpooned PC, pulling him around like a rag doll in every direction, is a good, good time.

Also useful for your all-kobold productions of Moby Dick.

Cheers,
Roger

fafhrd

First Post
orcgirl said:
what does "Remove standard; Str vs. Fort." mean??
It's instructions on how to adjudicate getting unstuck from the harpoon. You make a strength attack vs. the picador's fort defense as a standard action.

Lizard

Explorer
Roger said:
If you like one of these guys, try out a lot of them.

Three or four of them surrounding a harpooned PC, pulling him around like a rag doll in every direction, is a good, good time.

Also useful for your all-kobold productions of Moby Dick.

Cheers,
Roger

PC's are on bridge over canyon.
Picadors are on either side of canyon, parallel to the bridge, as follows:

P B P
P B P
P B P

(B=Bridge, ' '=space, P=Picador)

I'm sure you see where this is going. Even on a miss, a PC is pulled one square....into a nasty drop. Hide the picadors beforehand, and the PCs -- if they survive -- will never cross a bridge again.

Wystan

Explorer
Lizard said:
You seem to be conflating realism with believability.

Everyone has different things which break SOD. I don't give a damn about 1-1-1 diagonal movement or square fireballs, for instance.

You seem to be conflating D&D with reality..... :)

I would assume that a PC can break himself out of this if needed at the end of his turn in a form of saving throw, the Str vs. Fort mentioned.

helium3

First Post
Lizard said:
I'm sure you see where this is going. Even on a miss, a PC is pulled one square....into a nasty drop. Hide the picadors beforehand, and the PCs -- if they survive -- will never cross a bridge again.

No no. They'll just firesquare every space that's hidden from sight before they cross the bridge.

Klaus

First Post
VBMEW-01 said:
Oh my god do I love this critter. I never thought I could be excited about a harpoon!

If this is new weapons at work then I can't wait to see the rest. The harpooned ability is quite cool, and kinda useful in a pseudo-marking sort of way (though of course not the same). It also ties up the enemy's action, which is always great.

I just deeply hope that other weapons have cool utilitarian concepts, as I see tons of uses for this ability, which is subtle and really minor at best. :cool:
You want to see something really neat?

Give the picador a Ride modifier, then slap him on top of a Deathjump Spider.

gr-go015.jpg

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads