• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Goblin Treasure

Falstaff

First Post
Hello,

I'm finding the amount of treasure one goblin has a little over the top. If I am following the guidelines correctly from the core book, here's what a goblin has in the way of treasure:

50 gp to spend on weapons: short sword, short bow, and 20 arrows. This leaves 9 gp.

130 gp to spend on protection: light wooden shield and leather armor. This leaves 117 gp.

40 gp to spend on limited use items: let's say the goblin has a thunderstone. This leaves 10 gp.

40 gp to spend on gear. I gave the goblin a belt pouch. This leaves 39 gp.

The guidelines say to spend any left over coins from a category on other categories. So, this means that each goblin will have 175 gp in coins, gems, jewelry, etc.

Does that seem right to you?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
I don't have much of a problem with it, particularly when the excess is probably not going to be in gems, jewelry, or coins. It's probably going to be "spent" in the gear category as bulk stuff like stored foods, filthy furs, scavanged junk, and it's probably going to be back at the lair depending on where that goblin is in the tribal pecking order.

frankthedm

First Post
Does that seem right to you?
Nope. Despite being warrior class, first level gobbos are CR 1/3rd fodder and IMO should have treasure* no more than 85 gp, assuming medium progression. At higher level, classed NPC, such as the goblin sergeants, lieutenants and leaders will have those gear breakdowns. If the goblin fodder are buying custom items, they will probably be carrying a dangerous amount of oil and alchemist fire.

Default goblin gear has a 54gp retail [ 27 gp assuming it sells for 1/2 ]

Last edited:

Falstaff

First Post
Nope. Despite being warrior class, first level gobbos are CR 1/3rd fodder and IMO should have treasure* no more than 85 gp, assuming medium progression. At higher level, classed NPC, such as the goblin sergeants, lieutenants and leaders will have those gear breakdowns. If the goblin fodder are buying custom items, they will probably be carrying a dangerous amount of oil and alchemist fire.

Default goblin gear has a 54gp retail [ 27 gp assuming it sells for 1/2 ]

I see, so your house rule is to divide a monster/NPC's gp treasure value by its CR if it is below 1. So a single kobold would be worth 65 gp (including armor and weapons).

That might work, thanks.

The way it really works in Goblinland:

No, goblins shouldn't have all that treasure. What you should do is identify the big boss of the cave, and assume he beat the goblin senseless and _took_ the goblin's treasure, and add it to the boss monster's hoard. So, total amount of treasure remains constant, distribution is changed.

Ken

SolosAddie

Explorer
Slightly off-tangent, but has anyone experimented with having a substandard category (opposite of masterwork) for weapons/armor. i mean, you'd expect at least some goblins/similar creatures to have ill-kept/made weapons and armor, yes?

Set

First Post
Slightly off-tangent, but has anyone experimented with having a substandard category (opposite of masterwork) for weapons/armor. i mean, you'd expect at least some goblins/similar creatures to have ill-kept/made weapons and armor, yes?

You could give them weapons and / or armor with the Broken condition (like the scimitars the skeletons in the Pathfinder Bestiary are using).

A broken weapon will have a -2 to hit and -2 to damage, as well as only scoring a critical on a 20 (regardless of it's normal threat range) and only doing x2 damage on a crit (regardless of it's normal multiplier).

Broken armor only provide half it's normal AC bonus, and it's Armor Check Penalty is doubled.

Such items are repairable, but the Goblins might not have anyone in their little band with the requisite skills (or any sort of tools / smithy / forge, in any event).

Burn_Boy

First Post
I just use the standard stuff for Goblins in the Beastiary and didn't have any problems. Granted, after level one my players pretty much chewed them up and spat them out but hey, they ARE goblins. I don't think they're supposed to pose a threat to PCs.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads