• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Goblins Colour A Bad Move?

Do you prefer the new, coloured Goblins or the old, B&W Goblins?

Thunt

First Post
Do you happen to know the steps I can take to fix this? Or where I can find these steps?

I'm so glad someone has pointed this out to me, thanks. :D

Turjan

Explorer
Okay, I made a few further checks: It's not the browser (it's nearly the same with Firefox and IE, except the tracker), it's the firewall. Obviously, the site needs special rights for their anti-hotlinking system to work.

Edit: Not true. It's both, Firefox and the firewall. I would have to configure both differently for the pictures to show up. IE works with the firewall switched off, Firefox doesn't.

Last edited:

Thunt

First Post
Turjan said:
Okay, I made a few further checks: It's not the browser (it's nearly the same with Firefox and IE, except the tracker), it's the firewall. Obviously, the site needs special rights for their anti-hotlinking system to work.

Edit: Not true. It's both, Firefox and the firewall. I would have to configure both differently for the pictures to show up. IE works with the firewall switched off, Firefox doesn't.

Okay, my computer-illiterate sense is tingling. So is the reason you can't see the comics due to something on my computer or yours? In other words, is there something I can adjust on my end to fix it?

Turjan

Explorer
Thunt said:
Okay, my computer-illiterate sense is tingling. So is the reason you can't see the comics due to something on my computer or yours? In other words, is there something I can adjust on my end to fix it?
I don't think you can do anything. It looks as if your provider has an anti-hotlinking system in place that needs quite extensive rights on my machine in order to display images. Internet Explorer seems to grant these rights by default, whereas Firefox prevents that exchange to happen (I would have to find that special point in the menues; up to now I haven't).

Additionally, my software firewall blocks that anti-hotlinking system. I would have to grant your page special permissions. I have done that exactly for two sites up to now: one is my hardware firewall, the other is fileplanet (I use that one too often ;)).

This means, you won't be able to change the situation. Most people using Firefox as browser will not be able to see anything on your site, and many people with software firewalls, either. That's life, I suppose.

Short hand:
Their server needs to shake your browsers hand at the door.
The door is either closed.. your firewall refusing the communication.. or your browser is not being freindly.. your security setting not allowing communication with the site.

Possible fixes, depending on your systems are:
In both Firewall and Browser, mark the desired site as a 'trusted' site. This reduces the level of security and may allow the handshake.
Most firewalls allow you to set a particular website to a lower level of security screening.

Use IE.. it tends to be less secure. :)
Umm.. I meant, IE is easier for me to tell you where the options are to allow the handshake since thats what my work forces me.. er... gives me the opportunity to use :)

{edit.} oh ya,.. the poll..
Honestly hadn't seen the comic before today.. makes no diff to me :)

Last edited:

Bihor

First Post
I don't mind.
The comic is good.
Is it faster for you to color it?
Me I would't have change it because I'm sloth. :D

Turjan

Explorer
Okay, allowed 'referrers' for that page in the firewall and set a specific exception for that page for allowing to load images in Firefox.

I like the colours, but I noticed that the b&w comics look more three-dimensional. And the greens are a bit too light for my taste. The comics themselves look great :).

Edit: Is there any way to watch the comics forwards?

Last edited:

JoeBlank

Explorer
I voted "either way" although I have a slight preference for color.

Showing my webcomic-creating illiteracy, how difficult would it be to do both color and b&w? Do you create in and then color it? If it is not too difficult, you could post both versions and let the reader choose.

Either way, the story and humor is the point, and the art conveys that with or without color.

Thunt

First Post
Turjan said:
Is there any way to watch the comics forwards?

I assume you mean reading them in order...? If you click on 'Go Straight To The First Comic' you cane read them in order from there. Or you could click on the 'Archive' button.

I'm glad you got it to work. Thanks for making that effort just for lil 'ol me. :D

JoeBlank said:
I voted "either way" although I have a slight preference for color.

Showing my webcomic-creating illiteracy, how difficult would it be to do both color and b&w? Do you create in and then color it? If it is not too difficult, you could post both versions and let the reader choose.

Either way, the story and humor is the point, and the art conveys that with or without color.

Posting the comic in both colour and B&W wouldn't be too much more work, but I'd basically have to double my whole site. Two comics, two archives, two seperate NEXT and PREVIOUS buttons (so they don't get confused and take you to the wrong 'next' or 'previous') and that'd be alot I think. I think realistically, I'd have to choose one and it's looking like colour is the prefered choice.

Remove ads