• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Gods of Mythology, many campaign settings, in the appendix!

Li Shenron

Legend
I really like the principle of mentioning many settings and real-world pantheons.

I am not overly excited however, because the PHB merely mentions which domains to use (this is the real purpose of the whole appendix), but don't give any real description of those deities.

I am not sure because I haven't seen the PHB, only read about it, but if there isn't even a one-line description like "Goddess of Wisdom and Justice", then it's not easy to figure out what the deity is about, because the domains are very scarce at the moment (e.g. Osiris gets the Life domain... how can one figure out that Osiris is actually the god of the dead from this information?)

This means the list is useful for someone who already know they want to play a Cleric of X, and need to be told which domain to use in 5e, but not useful for someone who is wondering what kind of Cleric to play.

pemerton

Legend
I am not sure because I haven't seen the PHB, only read about it, but if there isn't even a one-line description like "Goddess of Wisdom and Justice", then it's not easy to figure out what the deity is about
I think it's been made clear that there is such a description. (Probably in the "finally" thread, or maybe the Act of Geek review.)

Crothian

First Post
This means the list is useful for someone who already know they want to play a Cleric of X, and need to be told which domain to use in 5e, but not useful for someone who is wondering what kind of Cleric to play.

I disagree. All the info might not be there but it doesn't need to be. The internet can provide information on the deities and it is very easy to look them up.

Li Shenron

Legend
I disagree. All the info might not be there but it doesn't need to be. The internet can provide information on the deities and it is very easy to look them up.

So just use the internet and save the space in the PHB.

As I said, the only reason for that page is to check which domain you can use. With only 7 domains in the PHB, it would have been easy to figure it out. Or just put those domains in Basic D&D or on the website. As it is now, it's not even a presentation of D&D traditional pantheons, just a reference chart.

Crothian

First Post
So just use the internet and save the space in the PHB.

As I said, the only reason for that page is to check which domain you can use. With only 7 domains in the PHB, it would have been easy to figure it out. Or just put those domains in Basic D&D or on the website. As it is now, it's not even a presentation of D&D traditional pantheons, just a reference chart.

They need the list of the gods that is important and helpful. It needs some type of guidance for players and DMs. It prevents arguments and that is always helpful.

Li Shenron

Legend
They need the list of the gods that is important and helpful. It needs some type of guidance for players and DMs. It prevents arguments and that is always helpful.

What arguments? "You shouldn't take domain X because it's not appropriate for that deity"-type arguments? Like instead now, with only 7 domains, you have to take some domain that isn't appropriate, because there are no appropriate domains at all for some deities...

I don't mind the table to be there, but I hope there is at least a short description of the deities like [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] says, so at least my casual players have a basic idea what are those D&D settings deities about, without having to browse the net. Otherwise it's just a reference chart. Not useless, but still of very limited use.

I think I would have either spent an extra page to have this info (if it's not there), OR skip the table altogether and use the space to provide a few additional domains.

This is why I said I like the idea, but I am not amazed.

Remove ads