• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Golarion - A Gamer's World

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
One thing that I notice looking at the Pathfinder Chronicles Campaign Setting sourcebook is that it seems to be a gamer's world. By this, I mean it has a lot of elements you would expect to see in the Realms or Greyhawk.

First of all, the lands are varied and earthlike, so you have your Realms analogy. Then some of the lands seem to have classic D&D modules in mind (i.e. Ravenloft, Pharoah, City of the Gods, etc.). I really feel like I could adapt materials from any number of sources to this world.

I just wanted to say kudos to Paizo for keeping the long-term gamers in mind while still providing a fun new world that is fresh and vibrant.

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
You know, i don´t have a horse in this race, but... isn´t "contains references to the Realms, to Greyhawk, to classic modules" pretty much the counterpoint to "fresh"?

Just saying.

BryonD

Hero
You know, i don´t have a horse in this race, but... isn´t "contains references to the Realms, to Greyhawk, to classic modules" pretty much the counterpoint to "fresh"?

Just saying.

Heh, Good point.

But I honestly think they have achieved a really great synergy of the classic elements with just little twists to give it a new take. First and foremost, it is a lot the same. That is what the great majority of PF fans want, more of the stuff they have already been enjoying.

But they have tons of cool little changes that make it a fresh feel on exactly the classic stuff. It is like the end product is very much the same, but the path getting there is a little different.

For example, dwarves were a completely subterrainian race until a few thousand years before "today". They tunneled up following a prophecy of sky and in doing that drove orcs to the surface before them. And now that they have been on the surface, spreading out, for a long time, they are dying out. That back story could be placed on just about nay setting you wanted. It fits the preconceived notions of dwarves and their relationship to the rest of the world, deep mines and ancient wars with orcs. But it also enhances interactions with other races. It would be pretty easy, for example, to assume that a lot of elves are still ticked at the dwarves about the whole orcs thing. Classic, yeah. But fresh.

They have good mechanics people at Paizo. But story is their wheelhouse. That is where they really are the powerhouse of the industry.

Dragon Claw

First Post
I agree I also like the way they rewrote the elf/drow history. Having the drow represent the elves who stayed behind on Golarion.

It explains the shift very creatively.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
Classic, yeah. But fresh.

I think this sums up my feelings on things. Yes, many elements are classic in nature, but at the same time, Paizo puts a nice fresh spin on things.

For example, their halflings definitely have some hobbit inspiration. Yet when I look at their iconic halfling bard, he seems fresh and new. Their presentation of goblins and kobolds has also been refreshing. They're more than cannon fodder now. They're freaky fearsome!

So Golarion seems familiar to me, evoking a sense of nostalgia and like I can use any of my classic modules there. Yet, it puts a nice, fresh spin on things. It's a formula for success.

The Highway Man

First Post
Totally agreed. By and large, Golarion is a classic fantasy world. The devil's in the details though, as far as the originality and freshness of the world are concerned. This tweak on that race, this take on an old fantasy meme. Little things that make the whole inspiring and vibrant.

Treebore

First Post
Totally agreed. By and large, Golarion is a classic fantasy world. The devil's in the details though, as far as the originality and freshness of the world are concerned. This tweak on that race, this take on an old fantasy meme. Little things that make the whole inspiring and vibrant.

Yep. Every story has already been told, 100's if not 1,000's of times. Even Star Wars, all that changes is the characters and the specifics of the situations.

Golarion takes a good bit of old and throws in cool new characters and specifics, making it feel like a fresh, new, vibrant world. I put this past even Dawnforge for fresh newness.

Jakar

First Post
To me, Eberron was fresh. Pathfinder, while good and I will be using it for a new game I am starting, is the same old same old.

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
With no more Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, Wilderlands of High Fantasy, KoK, etc, there are no more general fantasy settings. To make Paizo's setting general was a Harrowing stroke of brilliance. The introduction says that it is suppose to feel familiar while still being new and fresh.

I feel they have accomplished this.

(Remember, sizable portions of this world is based on Jacobs' homebrew he started back in the early-mid 80's so its going to be influenced by ... well... D&D's classic historical settings.)

GlassJaw

Hero
With no more Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, Wilderlands of High Fantasy, KoK, etc, there are no more general fantasy settings.

No more? Where did they go? Last I checked, all my Greyhawk and FR books and boxed sets were still on my shelf. I can drop players into those worlds any time I choose.

Granted they aren't supported anymore but that wouldn't stop me from finding more material on ebay for example.

When I first heard about that Paizo was creating their own generic fantasy setting, I was surprised. It didn't strike me as something that was "needed". It seems like it's been well-received so far but I wonder how much people are going to buy into the setting. Paizo seems to be releasing things at a break-neck pace.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads