• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 2E Golarion Afterlife Lore

Filthy Lucre

Adventurer
This may be an unpopular opinion, or a controversial topic, but the golarion/pathfinder lore around the afterlife is so depressing to me that I almost can't play it. Rather than keep reminding the DM and players that the afterlife is temporary and everyone/thing is destined for non-existence is not exactly what I'm looking for in a fantasy role playing game.

I would much rather have a setting where death/the afterlife is extremely vague/mysterious.

kenada

Legend
Supporter
Did they change something in PF2? From what I recall in PF1, you went to the Boneyard when you died. From there, you were judged by Pharasma then sent to an appropriate outer plane (typically based on your deity). Unless you were (un)lucky, your afterlife was similar to your regular life. Those who lack a patron deity usually end up in the Graveyard of Souls.

The-Magic-Sword

Small Ball Archmage
Did they change something in PF2? From what I recall in PF1, you went to the Boneyard when you died. From there, you were judged by Pharasma then sent to an appropriate outer plane (typically based on your deity). Unless you were (un)lucky, your afterlife was similar to your regular life. Those who lack a patron deity usually end up in the Graveyard of Souls.
Your soul does eventually disintegrate into one of the planes where you become part of a new outsider, IIRC. I wouldn't say it's that sad though.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Your soul does eventually disintegrate into one of the planes where you become part of a new outsider, IIRC. I wouldn't say it's that sad though.
From what I recall in Planar Adventures (I think it was there), it said that your soul eventually joined with the planar fabric of whichever plane it went to. But since the Maelstrom was eroding the planes (which were being bolstered with new souls), it would eventually "unearth" those souls, which would make their way to the Positive Energy Plane, where they were cleansed of all dregs of their previous existence and subsequently reborn.

The entire thing was a roundabout cycle of reincarnation, in other words.

Remove ads