• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Golarion Pronunciation of Drow

Voadam

Legend
I was finishing up reading the Pathfinder Chronicles Campaign Setting and they have a 2 page pronunciation guide for Golarion fantasy terms like how to pronounce Belial or Sahuagin ("suh WHO a gin") or Cheliax.

Under drow it gives "DROW".

Very helpful in clearing up whether their drow officially rhyme with cow or crow. :)

hafrogman

Adventurer
Why would it be any different than the normal way of saying the word?

Everyone knows it's pronounced 'drough' to rhyme with bough, though, through, rough, and cough.

Starman

Adventurer
I was finishing up reading the Pathfinder Chronicles Campaign Setting and they have a 2 page pronunciation guide for Golarion fantasy terms like how to pronounce Belial or Sahuagin ("suh WHO a gin") or Cheliax.

Under drow it gives "DROW".

Very helpful in clearing up whether their drow officially rhyme with cow or crow. :)

I think this is filed under "Smartass, Being a."

hafrogman

Adventurer
I actually have always pronounced it Drow as in cow and plow.
Yup, cow, plow, now, bough, chow, etc. You are quite correct to do so (according to the D&D writers who first used the term). But many people learned it another way, and are now so used to their pronunciation that other ways seem wrong to their ears. There's a long history of threads arguing the issue, but in the end it's far more divisive than religion or politics ever were.

HyrumOWC

First Post
If it helps I've always heard it pronounced like cow around the office. I'll ask tomorrow though.

Hyrum.
Marketing Manager
Paizo Publishing

Remove ads