• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Golems and Invisibility

Say a golem (stone, if it matters) is guarding a tomb. His instructions were "Kill anyone and anything who disturbs this tomb". In fact, let's assume that the orders the golem is following are perfectly clear. How would the golem react to invisible tomb raiders? The golem doesn't have blindsight. It doesn't even have spot or listen skills. Would the golem attack wildly if the tomb was opened? What would it do, how would it react?

Thanks in advance.

TS

Tessarael

Explorer
If the tomb is disturbed and noone has done it [as far as the golem can tell] does the golem attack? I'd say no.

If the golem does somehow detect those responsible (I believe a roll of 20 would allow it to see an invisible moving opponent), then it can attack.

a related question:

A golem fights back when attacked. What if it's being attacked by an Invisibly Improved fighter? an Invisibly Improved fighter with a 10' reach weapon? an Invisibly Improved wizard pelting the golem with the appropriate spells?

Thanks again.

TS

Lord Thurham

First Post
Tabarnak Smokeblower said:
a related question:

A golem fights back when attacked. What if it's being attacked by an Invisibly Improved fighter? an Invisibly Improved fighter with a 10' reach weapon? an Invisibly Improved wizard pelting the golem with the appropriate spells?

Thanks again.

TS

I'd say that Golem is dead, the Golem would attack in the general direction that the attacks are coming from, after missing, it might take a 5' step forward and try again next round. After missing again, it might stay in the square and ready to attack in the direction an attack comes from. Again, since the fighter and wizard are hitting with reach weapons, the golem basically doesn't stand a chance unless it has reach.

In this type of situation, the DM might need to adjust the module to be more challenging for players that use this type of fighting methods, or alot of the battles will basically be like the above scenario..

LT

Sejs

First Post
Say a golem (stone, if it matters) is guarding a tomb. His instructions were "Kill anyone and anything who disturbs this tomb". In fact, let's assume that the orders the golem is following are perfectly clear. How would the golem react to invisible tomb raiders? The golem doesn't have blindsight. It doesn't even have spot or listen skills. Would the golem attack wildly if the tomb was opened? What would it do, how would it react?

It wouldn't react at all. A golem is totally unintelligent - it can't think for itself, interpret or improvise. If it's instructions don't include what to do if an invisible creature breaks into the tomb, and it cannot identify that whatever is disturbing it's charge is in fact 'anyone or anything' then it would stand there and do nothing and continue it's watch.

It's the golem equavelant of getting an error message on your computer. It just says to itself .."well, that's not working. Oh well" and goes back to whatever it was doing before.

If the golem does somehow detect those responsible (I believe a roll of 20 would allow it to see an invisible moving opponent), then it can attack.
See, no. Detect the presence of, yes. In which case the golem would react accordingly, as per it's instructions. Were I the golem's creator and set it to guard this tomb, I'd include the instructions ~ "if you detect the presence of someone you cannot see, close the entrance to the tomb and stand to block the doorway from the inside." Then the little buggers can either fight the golem or just sit there and starve to death. Either option is good. ^_^

Well, since the golem is taking damage, it's aware that there's someone or something present. The fighter's reach weapon doesn't do much, as the golem itself also has reach - the fighter isn't nearly as safe as he thinks he is. But yeah, I'd say the golem would react based on it's instructions. For example, in a game I ran a while back I had some low hd wood-and-brass 'warehouse' golems working in this large mage's storage building. One of their instructions was "if you encounter a situation that you cannot understand, go and get the foreman." If the golem in the scenario is on it's own *shrug* dono, maybe have it be instructed to minimize it's exposure (get in a tight hallway for example), and then just methodically sweep the area until it hits something squishy.

LokiDR

First Post
Lord Thurham said:
After missing again, it might stay in the square and ready to attack in the direction an attack comes from. Again, since the fighter and wizard are hitting with reach weapons, the golem basically doesn't stand a chance unless it has reach.
I don't think a mindless golem would ready attacks. I think it would keep swinging untill it found something or died.

Also, all golems are size:large, so they all have reach.

kender

First Post
Another side question, aroused by previous replies: How complex can be the instructions given to a golem?
Maybe some of my memories just overlapped (and I don't have my manuals at hand), but I always thought golem couldn't recieve highly complex or very long instructions...

LokiDR

First Post
kender said:
Another side question, aroused by previous replies: How complex can be the instructions given to a golem?
Maybe some of my memories just overlapped (and I don't have my manuals at hand), but I always thought golem couldn't recieve highly complex or very long instructions...

You remember correctly, more or less
The creator can give the golem a simple command to govern its actions in his or her absence.
Simple != complex.

allenw

Explorer
Tabarnak Smokeblower said:
How would the golem react to invisible tomb raiders? The golem doesn't have blindsight. It doesn't even have spot or listen skills. TS

The golem doesn't have any ranks in Spot or Listen, but it does have WIS (11), so it can make Spot (including Darkvision 60' and low-light-vision) and Listen checks at +0. Spot +0 won't help it notice most invisible intruders, but Listen +0 might. If it hears someone, it'll attack their hex (if known) or a random hex in that general direction (if not known).
If the intruder visibly or audibly "disturbs" the tomb (opens the door, smashes the sarcophagus, starts prying gems out of the wall), the golem should attack the hex or hexes being disturbed.
If the golem is attacked with invisible reach weapons, it may be confused as to the source hex, but remember that the weapon-wielder is probably making enough noise to be heard by the golem. The same applies to (V-component) spellcasting, plus visible spells may be traced back to their source.

Remove ads