• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Goliath

kayn99

First Post
So I think the answer is medium but wanted to hear another person opinion on it. When a Goliath druid is in his stony form, from the stone form feat, does he get the medium slam damage or the large slam damage?

Kayn

Tetsubo

First Post
Powerful Build grants the Goliath the ability to wield weapons that are one size larger than their form. It doesn't effect natural weapons.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Isn't there a feat in that same book to let the Goliath benefit from Powerful Build while Wildshaped? I think that the Goliath normally loses that trait entirely while Wildshaped normally...

Jin_Kataki

First Post
Powerful Build grants the Goliath the ability to wield weapons that are one size larger than their form. It doesn't effect natural weapons.

I don't know if that is from some eratta somewhere, but nowhere in the Races of Stone does it say that. The only thing it indicates as not being affected are his space and reach. It also states that it stacks with any powers abilities or spells that change the creatures size. Now I didn't specifically look into the wildshape bit so take that for what it is worth.

Corsair

First Post
I don't know if that is from some eratta somewhere, but nowhere in the Races of Stone does it say that. The only thing it indicates as not being affected are his space and reach. It also states that it stacks with any powers abilities or spells that change the creatures size. Now I didn't specifically look into the wildshape bit so take that for what it is worth.

Except the ability doesn't say it improves natural weapons. The only reference to weapons is being able to wield larger ones.

Angrydad

First Post
My interpretation of the Powerful Build trait is that the character counts as a size larger in all instances where it would be beneficial to be bigger. That means they get a grapple bonus, carrying capacity is doubled, they can wield larger weapons, and their unarmed attacks do more damage.

Jin_Kataki

First Post
My interpretation of the Powerful Build trait is that the character counts as a size larger in all instances where it would be beneficial to be bigger. That means they get a grapple bonus, carrying capacity is doubled, they can wield larger weapons, and their unarmed attacks do more damage.

That is exactly how it is in my group where I play a Goliath Druid in fact.

Corsair

First Post

Except that isn't what it says. But hey, if you prefer to play it that way, who am I to stop you? :)

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Okay, first let's see what the FAQ says:

Does the powerful build racial trait allow a character to take advantage of feats for size Large or larger creatures, such as Awesome Blow? Would a half-dragon goliath qualify as Large for determining whether it has wings?

No and no. The powerful build racial trait (found in the goliath entry in Races of Stone and the half-giant entry in Expanded Psionics Handbook) spells out exactly when the character is treated as one size larger than normal:

1. Whenever subjected to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check. This includes grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts.

2. When determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size can affect him. This includes improved grab and swallow whole.

3. When determining what size of weapons the character can use.

That’s it. The character isn’t treated as one size larger when determining space, reach, Hide check penalty, or for the purpose of qualifying for anything that requires size.

Some feats, prestige classes, or other game elements may specifically allow a Medium character with powerful build to qualify as if he were Large. Such examples are specific and intentional exceptions to the normal rule.

Does the powerful build racial trait change the damage the character deals with unarmed strikes and natural weapons?

No. The powerful build racial trait allows the character to “use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty” but doesn’t say anything about changing the damage dealt by his unarmed strikes or natural weapons.

That seems to answer the OP's question.

kayn99

First Post
Thank You

That is exactly the information that I am looking for. I just wish that they would be consistent with the information that place out. The feat that allows the Powerful build while wild shaping says that it does allow natural weapons to be one size larger. I can see them wanting to give the feat some things to replace the large weapons when wild shaping but consistence is more important. Can not wait for the switch to 4e.

Kayn

Remove ads