• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

good Alternate History novels?

Atridis

First Post
Looks like Turtledove is a common choice here. Next time I'm in a bookstore, I'll give his stack a closer look (his "World War One in a high fantasy world" series looked interesting, too - I forget the name of it, though). I like the looks of "The Man in the High Castle", too. I've enjoyed other books by both Turtledove and Dick. I started "Seventh Son" a whole heck of a long time ago, and I couldn't get into it. Maybe I'll try again.

Domo arigato.

Purple

First Post
As with most here, I've enjoyed Turtledove. I just finished Ruled Britannia, which was very good. Not as many viewpoint characters as his other, longer books, such as te Darkness series (WWII in fantasy).

The Lost Regiment, by William Forstchen, is a story of an American Civil War regiment that gets transported to a different world, populated by some other humans from other times as well as a larger warrior race that has enslaved humans. There are something like 8 or 9 books in the series, but I don't know if it is done or not.

Lee

qstor

Adventurer
I liked Guns of the South a lot too. SM Stirling's Conquistador is good too. I finished it a few months ago. I couldn't put it down.

I'm a big Tim Powers fan, he mixes magic and history, but that might not what you're looking for. One of his books inspired Skull and Bones.

Thanks for all the recommendations, I'll have to check these out.

Mike

DMScott

First Post
There's a decent little anthology called Hitler Victorious which features stories about... well, guess. Editors I believe are Gregory Benford and Martin Greenbert. It was inspired by the Iron Dream and similar novels.

S. M. Stirling has a sort-of alternate history series that sets up a cold war with a more truly evil set of "bad guys", the Draka. Essentially, the American Revolution goes longer, Britain annexes South Africa as part of the war, and afterwards the British loyalists emigrate from the newly independent North American colonies to South Africa. They eventually create a technologically advanced nation that rules Africa through slavery and exploitation, with a cultural imperative to conquer the world. So far, there's been four novels and an anthology - Marching Through Georgia, Under the Yoke, The Stone Dogs, Drakon, and the anthology Drakas! which is short stories set in the Draka timeline by other authors (yes, including Harry Turtledove - he had to be in this post somewhere, right?) ;) .

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads