• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

good and evil, what is greater?

Good and Evil, what is greater?

• Good is greater than Evil

Votes: 32 45.1%
  • Evil is the greatest

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • Neutral is the ultimate

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • What is moral value? They don't exist

Votes: 20 28.2%

• Poll closed .

shawnsse

First Post
No, this is not a religious discussion, so don't name any religion.

Just a feel, with the influence of your culture, experience, background, education, present your view on good and evil, what was greater?

I know in DnD, it's always about balance, but my background simply cannot help me to believe good and evil have coexisted as balance forces. I have always believed good triumphed over evil. Good is the only path for all being eventually. Good is always greater than evil.

And as a game, I feel DnD should also promote such philosophy, encouraging people to be good and not evil. Just my view, I know some will disagree.

This is meant to be an mind opener. It has no conclusion, I know. Just want to hear from you guys, your thoughts and your million dollars worth of common sense.

Shawn

Last edited:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Both are infinite, since they are expressions of humanity.

The same could be said for stupidity vs. smartitude.

-- N

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I'd say that D&D has never been about good and evil being in balance; characters are almost always portrayed as the PC's being good, fighting against Evil.

I generally portray things like this, which comes close as anything to my personal beleifs: evil is strong, very strong, and may even seem to win at times. However, evil is inherently unstable and even if the PC's did nothing at all, the evil they oppose would eventually destroy itself. However, there would be much, much suffering before it did that and things might become to totally corrupt that a full reversion towards Good might be impossible.

shawnsse

First Post
Nifft said:
Both are infinite, since they are expressions of humanity.

The same could be said for stupidity vs. smartitude.

-- N

I would rather be smart than stupid.
Smart is good and stupid is bad.
Anyone out there prefer to be stupid?

As in Good or Evil?
Of course, I choose Good.
Get it? You don't? Then you aren't smart, are you?

Just teasing, no offense.

Shawn

Wombat

First Post
Since both are ultimate principles, it is rather hard to determine.

But consider this: How many people do you know who really consider themselves evil or actively worship evil deities?

Not too many.

Of course part of that may be hope, or blindness, or self-delusion, but I ultimately believe most people are drawn to try and do the right thing, even if they fail at times.

In that, I put my hope in Good over Evil, by whatever names people wish to give those principles.

Trickstergod

First Post
The question/poll is rather vague. What do you mean by "greater?" I'm taking it to mean which is more prevalent, which is more common. However, before tossing out my answer and vote on the poll, I'd like to know if that is what you were getting at, or something else. Which is more powerful...? Preferable...? Something else...?

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I would rather be smart than stupid.

It is stupid to want to be this way. ;)

Everyone thinks they're good. It's human nature. I'm Right, You're Wrong (as long as you're opposing what I'm doing). I'm Good and True and God(s) Loves ME, but You're Evil and False and God(s) Hates YOU (which, by extention, allows me to hate you, too).

It requires an extreme devotion of humility to admit that you're even sometimes (or most of the time) Evil. Harmfully, corruptingly Evil.

Of course, in a world where you can credibly, doctrinaly doubt the very existence of a Good and Evil, there's not a whole lot that says that either one has to be better than the other....

Gez

First Post
Since a lot of people that are dead sure they are Good are in fact Evil (the self-righteous attitude described by KM above), one could say that Evil is greater.

Besides, contrarily to D&D, there's no clear, straightforward, universal, and tangible definitions of what is good and what is evil. While most people nowadays will agree on some principles (rape, murder, torture are all among the foulest crimes), this has not always been the case. In some times and places, other things were considered worst. Or they were or weren't crimes depending on who they were inflicted on.

Remove ads