• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Good, Bad and Ugly

How far gone have you been?

Have you been gaming at all in the past 3 years, or have you been completely out of touch with the whole industry?

I've been out of touch for about a year and a half now, so I can't tell you too much other than:

There has been a PHB II and a DMG II released
WOTC did a 3.5 Unearthed Arcana a few years ago. It was generally well received. I liked it.
There is a d20 Future book that is pretty cool.
There is also a d20 Past book for... well, gaming with the Modern system in historical times
There have been a LOT of new settings and alternate d20 systems developed. I can only name a few off the top of my head (Ptolus, Blue Rose, Shades of Earth, Ebberon, True20, M&M Superlink, etc).
There is a lot of talk about 4e, but WOTC has been pretty clear that it wont happen any time soon
There has been a merger between RPGnow and DTRPG. A new site will launch in a few months
The number of FLGS has declined sharply in recent years. The reasons for this are manyfold, but it is generally regarded as very bad for the industry.
WOTC has pledged to focus more on modules in the near future
IIRC, WOTC sold off Dragon magazine a couple of years ago.
There is clearly a shift among consumers moving from traditional books to electronic books and software purchases. Sales at places like RPGnow and e23 continue to grow while FLGS close and game distributors diversify into other products to remain viable.
WOTC started making plastic minitures of the monsters from the MM a few years ago. Most of them look really cool. They are made to scale, so the colossal creatures are... ginormous.

Anyway, that's about all I can think of that has happened in recent years. I'm sure someone else around here can provide more information.

Missed only one thing-

We went from 3rd edition to 3.5 edition. Mostly minor changes and most were in the use of magic. Ranger redesigned and Gnomes favored class became bard

Dragongirl

First Post
Thanks guys. Not heard of most of those realms, just Eberronn. Think I remember hearing 3.5 was coming out but didn't really care at the time.

Gnomes are bards?????? um ok

DM_Jeff

Explorer
Good: 3.5 and WotC support in pushing the rules envelope.

Bad: Osseum Entertainment distributors ruining 3rd-party d20 fun.

Ugly: Fast Forward's "crash and burn" leaving unpaid freelancers.

P.S. Welcome back.

-DM Jeff

Henry

Autoexreginated
Welcome back, in any event!

Any more specific questions we can cover? If not, I'm sure just hanging out would generate 'em. :)

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
Welcome back, DG!

The past year, especially, has had WotC really pushing the limits and getting creative with D&D and how their products are formatted. (For discussion on whether these changes are good and bad, please see any number of threads...)

3rd party d20 material is almost dead. Monte Cook effectively closed Malhavoc with the publication of Ptolus this past summer as his magnum opus; Green Ronin is concentrating on their own games; Necromancer is still publishing, but infrequently. Goodman Games is about the only d20 publisher left out there publishing books on a regular schedule; most others have thrown in the towel, or have moved almost exclusively to pdf (where you will still find some excellent material).

You'll get back in the swing of things soon, though!

Remove ads