• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Good choice for 7th level spells?

Eraslin

First Post
Hi all,
So, my transmuter (opposed necromancy & enchantment) has just reached level 13 -- thus for the first time in my gaming history I've reached level 7 spells. So, I've two spells to add to my characters spellbook, but looking through the list of spells I'm just torn as to what to pick. There really aren't any spells that call out to me as 'must pick' spells.

Since the character is a transmuter, one of the spells has to be a transmutation spell -- for this I'm thinking reverse gravity, but I'm not sure.

So, what I'm looking for is some help. What 7th level wizard spells (non-necromancy and non-enchantment) do you like, and why? Do you have any clever uses for any 7th level spells?

Thanks,
Eraslin

edit: I should add that this is v3.5, and I've access to all spells in the PHB, MoF, Und, PGtF, T&B, and the MoP.

Last edited:

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Prismatic Spray - this one is fun as it has varying spell effects every time you cast it. Plus it can be very powerful.

Travelling Spells - Plane Shift, Greater Teleport, and Ethereal Jaunt can be nice. It depends on the desires of your group.

Limited Wish - probably for later, but depending on how willing your DM is to give you spells you may want to pick it up now.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
My suggestion?

All of them.

Cut out a few that you think are totally useless (phase door, grasping hand and instant summons come to mind), and then spend the 350 gp per spell to learn the rest.

Assuming you own a boccob's book. You do own a boccob's book, don't you? Worth their bloody weight in gold they are. Get one.

ajanders

Explorer
Eraslin said:
Hi all,
So, my transmuter (opposed necromancy & enchantment) has just reached level 13 -- thus for the first time in my gaming history I've reached level 7 spells. So, I've two spells to add to my characters spellbook, but looking through the list of spells I'm just torn as to what to pick. There really aren't any spells that call out to me as 'must pick' spells.

Since the character is a transmuter, one of the spells has to be a transmutation spell -- for this I'm thinking reverse gravity, but I'm not sure.

So, what I'm looking for is some help. What 7th level wizard spells (non-necromancy and non-enchantment) do you like, and why? Do you have any clever uses for any 7th level spells?

Thanks,
Eraslin

edit: I should add that this is v3.5, and I've access to all spells in the PHB, MoF, Und, PGtF, T&B, and the MoP.

Control Weather is beautiful except on the party combat scale.
If you have your own domain, get rain whenever you need it. Or sun. Or clouds. Alternately, give it to a domain you don't like when they don't need it. You can become a political and economic power instantly.
If you have a really tall tower, you can also restage the crossing of Caradras. You may need to build the fantasy version of a bullhorn first. Mostly pointless except for style, but high level wizards should be thinking about such things.
If you're not playing a Birthright style game, however, and only doing party vs. monster combat, Reverse Gravity is the way to go.

For the second spell, I like Limited Wish, Greater Teleport, and Spell Turning.
Limited Wish is like a 12-blade Swiss army knife: a very handy wild card. Greater Teleport has no miss chance, so that eliminates a major potential problem. Spell Turning is a very nice defensive spell: it's not perfect, but it's one of the few reactive defenses available in the core books.
Good luck!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads