• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Good city-based modules?

Tarlonniel

First Post
I'd like to run an urban, roleplay-heavy campaign for a few friends of mine - one with plenty of political intrigue, social interaction, all that great stuff. But I don't really have time to develop such a thing myself. Anyone know of a good pre-written adventure I could use? Preferably 3.5e, but I could work with 3.0.

fafhrd

First Post
It might be a little more dungeon-crawly than you'd like, but The Grey Citadel from Necromancer is a mixed activity, city adventure that's often touted for being a lot of fun.

Yair

Community Supporter
Splintered Peace SOUNDS appropriate, but I never read it.

The city of Marchion was a thriving community, a gateway for trade between civilized and barbarian lands. All the races lived together; if not in harmony, at least in peace. But now orcish raids have devastated trade, and hard times are turning the races against each other. It's up to a bold group of adventurers to save the city from itself.

Splintered Peace is a political campaign emphasizing both action and intellect, in which the player characters race to prevent racial tensions from tearing their home apart. It's designed for 8th-level characters with a mix of classes and abilities.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
The Witchfire Trilogy is also newly released in compile form, updated to 3.5. The adventures are pretty much totally centered around a single city.

Byrons_Ghost

First Post
Yair said:
Splintered Peace SOUNDS appropriate, but I never read it.

If you're wanting roleplaying and intrigue, Splinter Peace is definately worth checking out. It's one of my favorite modules of recent years. While there's a few side excursions (against the orcs, for example), most of the module involves figuring out which individuals in the city are taking advantage of the troubles, and how to stop them. Combat and killing is usually the worst choice, as it can lead to legal entaglements at best and mass rioting at worst. Eventually, the PCs must either bring the disparate elements of the city together or watch the city fall to either civil war or humanoid invasion.

That's the only full module I can think of off the top of my head. A lot of people like Shackled City, which focuses around the city of Cauldron, but I would imagine it's got a lot of dungeons in it. Another option you may want to consider is Eberron. The Sharn book doesn't have any modules per se, but it's a great source of city mystery and intrigue. Most of the published Eberron adventures have been set in Sharn, from what I can tell.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Barnacus: City in Peril - it's technically an AD&D 1e module, but you can substitute D&D 3x NPCs and monsters for their 1e counterparts with no troubles (i.e., that is, no conversion past simple substitution is necessary).

JoeBlank

Explorer
Another suggestion that you check out Splintered Peace. To be honest, I had never heard of it, but John Nephew sent it to me as part of his recent birthday giveaway. I have not read the entire book yet (it is a 110 page hardcover), but the premise sounds great. Note that the plot involves a great deal of racism-style conflict, so be sure this is a subject with which your group is comfortable.

I Just checked Yair's link and noticed that the book is available in pdf, a great deal for under 8 bucks. The one review here on ENW gives it four stars: http://www.enworld.org/reviews.php?do=review&reviewid=2010150

DarrenGMiller

First Post
fafhrd said:
It might be a little more dungeon-crawly than you'd like, but The Grey Citadel from Necromancer is a mixed activity, city adventure that's often touted for being a lot of fun.

I second Grey Citadel. Great adventure.

DM

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Grey Citadel or Shackled City.

Some day I hope for a Bard's Gate module...but for now I'll settle for the town. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads