• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Good Feat Choices For A Cleric

Cyberhawk

Community Supporter
If there's a lot of undead in the campaign you definately want Extra Turning.

I rather like Silent Spell, a huge number of the core cleric spells require verbal so magical silence becomes a serious problem...

Hella_Tellah

Explorer
I recommend that players who run a caster and are confused about feat choice grab up a few item creation feats. Scribe Scroll allows a cleric to carry around some of the neat utility spells the class offers, without having to prepare them or sacrifice them for healing. Craft Wand or Staff will save the party TONS of cash on healing. Most important, though, is Craft Magic Arms and Armor. I like having Wizards and Clerics grab this feat because they use their abilities to strengthen the entire party. The player running a melee character is glad to have the Cleric around every time she swings her guisarme, but it's still her character who's bringing the pain. This is a much better group dynamic than what the Divine Power metamagic Cleric brings to the table. The Cleric is really doing a lot of good for everyone at the table, but he's not taking the spotlight off of other characters, as the more powerful classes are wont to do.

kenobi65

First Post
Hella_Tellah said:
I recommend that players who run a caster and are confused about feat choice grab up a few item creation feats. Scribe Scroll allows a cleric to carry around some of the neat utility spells the class offers, without having to prepare them or sacrifice them for healing. Craft Wand or Staff will save the party TONS of cash on healing. Most important, though, is Craft Magic Arms and Armor. I like having Wizards and Clerics grab this feat because they use their abilities to strengthen the entire party. The player running a melee character is glad to have the Cleric around every time she swings her guisarme, but it's still her character who's bringing the pain. This is a much better group dynamic than what the Divine Power metamagic Cleric brings to the table. The Cleric is really doing a lot of good for everyone at the table, but he's not taking the spotlight off of other characters, as the more powerful classes are wont to do.

I don't disagree with this, but the one caveat I'd give (having a frustrated cleric player at my table for this very reason) is that, if the other players don't agree that this is benefitting the whole group, and chip in for the cleric's cost in scribing scrolls, crafting wands, etc., the cleric player could easily wind up feeling screwed over.

In the case of Craft Magic Arms and Armor, I think it should go without saying that the fighter would be paying the costs (GP costs at least) for having his guisarme enhanced.

Hella_Tellah

Explorer
kenobi65 said:
I don't disagree with this, but the one caveat I'd give (having a frustrated cleric player at my table for this very reason) is that, if the other players don't agree that this is benefitting the whole group, and chip in for the cleric's cost in scribing scrolls, crafting wands, etc., the cleric player could easily wind up feeling screwed over.

In the case of Craft Magic Arms and Armor, I think it should go without saying that the fighter would be paying the costs (GP costs at least) for having his guisarme enhanced.

Agreed 100%.

moritheil

First Post
Initiate feats, if the campaign is in Greyhawk or FR. They can really help a cleric stand out from other divine casters, which might be especially relevant in a party with a favored soul.

Ok, some more info on the campaign. We are playing the Shackled City Adventure Path. So there isn't a huge amount of undead (not much at all really). As such, I imagine that any turning is going to be spent on other things if he takes any Divine Feats.

Olaf the Stout

Mechnomancer

First Post
Pretty much every caster i have run has taken extend spell at 3rd level. Shackled city does involve a lot of outsiders, so any way to bypass DR and SR is good too.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads