• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Good feats for a hybrid warlord?

CCamfield

First Post
Hey all,

I'm currently playing a 3rd level hybrid ranger|warlord in a 4e game (obviously). I have made a pretty good list (I think) of useful ranger feats for him, but I'm honestly pretty stumped on feats in the heroic tier that would be worth taking to help my party on the leader side of things. Since my character only has one use of Inspiring Word per encounter, and isn't a lazylord, the only thing I've come up with so far is Expert Combat Leader to give everyone +1 to initiative. But that seems of somewhat dubious value. (Although I guess +1 to 5 people is about as good as Improved Initiative, only it's spread out amongst the group...)

I know there's a feat in Paragon to get an extra use of Inspiring Word. But that's a long way away!

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
It depends on what kind of warlord you are, which is your at-will? and your one encounter power? Is Eberron material allowed in your table? Are you an archer warlord? The thing with warlords is most of their feats are tied to an specific leadership feature.

But I must ask, what are you intending to do with the warlord half of your build?

Edit: also what is the composition of your party? is there any other leader to pick the slack?

Warlord/ranger isn't such a great combo. I guess if you're a melee ranger you can at least get something out of Strength, but for secondaries you're split between Dex and any of the three mental stats.

Are you more striker or leader? What do you want your PC to be good at?

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
I wouldn't bother with a +1 to Initiative. It's too small and fiddly. Saving Inspiration is generally pretty useful (grant a saving throw with Inspiring Word, albeit at the cost of the bonus healing die or dice).

Would you mind posting your race and ability scores?

CCamfield

First Post
Hey, sorry guys! I should have posted my character summary from the builder. I appreciate you guys being willing to look at him.

So: yes, he's a melee ranger(|warlord). There isn't another leader in the party at the moment (they lost the cleric's player) but I didn't really want to play another full leader again. Most of what I've played in 4e has been tactical warlords. :heh:

I think it was for mainly that reason that I didn't go with Str/Int. I want to be able to kick back a little, and not be the guy that I feel should be the one coming up with the plans. When I played my intellectual warlords I tried to have a lot of input into what the party's plans were, and this guy on the other hand does a lot of just going with the flow.

So I went with the hybrid, and we're stocking up on some healing potions, and I know that at level 5 I will definitely be going with a good healing daily like Stand The Fallen.

I'm not totally focused on combat effectiveness, as you can see from the utility power and low-level vision feat. But if there was something good to improve warlordiness that'd be handy. I don't see much, though. The person who mentioned Saving Inspiration is totally right - that could be very useful. Just... more useful to a full warlord. *sigh*

P.S. party makeup:

warforged knight
gnome rogue (ranged, not very effective)
gnome wizard
elf great-bow ranger with owlbear

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Cador, level 3
Human, Ranger/Warlord
Tuathan Starting Feature Option: Shapechanger's Physique
Hybrid Ranger Option: Hybrid Ranger Fortitude
Warlord Leadership Option: Combat Leader (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlord Option: Hybrid Warlord Will
Hybrid Talent Option: Ranger Fighting Style
Ranger Fighting Style Option: Two-Blade Fighting Style (Hybrid)
Armor of Adaptable Resistance +1 Option: Armor of Adaptable Resistance +1 (Poison)
Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort
Parentage - Minstrel Family (+2 to Diplomacy)
Theme: Tuathan

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 18, CON 10, DEX 16, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 12

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 16, CON 10, DEX 16, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 12

AC: 19 Fort: 17 Ref: 16 Will: 14
HP: 37 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 9

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +9, Diplomacy +9, Nature +6, Perception +6, Stealth +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +3, Arcana +1, Bluff +2, Dungeoneering +1, Endurance +0, Heal +1, History +1, Insight +1, Intimidate +2, Religion +1, Streetwise +2, Thievery +3

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort
Hunter's Quarry Power: Hunter's Quarry
Warlord Feature: Inspiring Word
Ranger Attack 1: Twin Strike
Warlord Attack 1: Direct the Strike
Ranger Attack 1: Off-Hand Strike
Ranger Attack 1: Jaws of the Wolf
Warlord Attack 1: Vengeance is Mine
Tuathan Utility 2: Tuathan Animal Shape