• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Good Halloween Adventure

Crothian

First Post
It is coming up on that time of year so what are people doing special for the holiday using Pathfinder? Any good Pathfinder modules that would make for a great horror session?

Last edited:

Boggs

Explorer
Carrion Crown AP book one is a mystery through a haunted prison. That would be good. Not really a one shot if that's what you're looking for.

Crothian

First Post
I was looking for more one shot ideas or something I could bring into the current campaign as well as just hearing what other people might be doing. That is a great and spooky adventure that I would use but I really want to run that AP one day.

Stumblewyk

Adventurer
In previous years, I've converted old AD&D 2e Ravenloft modules to Pathfinder and run them for my group as one-offs. My original idea was to take them through the 6 modules of the Grand Conjunction, 1 each Halloween, but gave up on that really quickly.

This year, I'm not even GM'ing. One of my players has graciously offered to run a horror-themed session of the Dresden Files RPG for us, so I'm looking forward to that immensely.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Well they have this lvl5 1 shot for free as an intro to the kaiden campaign setting. You can dl it here http://paizo.com/products/btpy8p2y?Frozen-Wind

Stole my suggestion. :p

But to add to it. The one shot is designed for 5 each, 5th level characters. It runs about 3.5 hours, unless you spend more exploration time in the first act. It's divided into 3 time based acts, and works as kind of sandbox temple layout. It comes with 7 or 8 pregens to choose from, and using the pregens are a good idea as there are specific goals for each NPC provided in each NPC's background.

In the playtest, nobody was killed, but 2 characters were brought down below 0 hp - twice! And a third player started exclaiming "TPK, TPK!" the first time the two were knocked low.

Had I run this one-shot again, I would have given a rejuvination ability to the undead monks of the second act to notch up the terror level and possibly risk a TPK.

Since this was originally a convention demo game held at Origins, there is a score keeping chart to determine a "winner" among the players, but isn't necessary.

Among the pregens is a paladin, the only included "healer" (no clerics) and should be kept that way, even if you don't run the pregens, since this is very much a survival horror scenario. It might be diminished slightly if there are more healer types - so minimize that among the players.

Rite Publishing is working on another awesome horror one-shot that should be released in October, but it's for the patrons of the Kaidan Kickstarter, so it won't be released to the public for a while yet - probably sometime next year.

Haladir

Villager
You'd need to write a short backstory as to why the PCs were there, and write a different epilogue, but the "Misgivings" section of Pathfinder #2, "The Skinsaw Murders" is a great take on the "let's explore a haunted house" adventure.

Remove ads