• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Good historical sources?

diaglo

Adventurer
Cutter XXIII said:
Hey, Whiz, thanks a bunch for this heads-up. I've got a Colonial setting in development for Savage Worlds, and The Writer's Guide to Everyday Life in Colonial America is going to come very much in handy. I'd been searching for something like this, to no avail -- so thanks again! :D
have you look at the ___ on $5 a day books from Frommer?

those books highlight some really cool things to check out on a budget. they go into great detail with maps, background, places to visit, things to wear, say, do and so on...

dougmander

Explorer
diaglo said:
of course who can forget another must read:

The Art of War

Hmm, not sure if I would consider that a historical reference book, more of a primary text. But it is one of my favorite reads. It has helped me make wise decisions and resolve conflicts in my professional life. I've taught the book to high-school students, and seen their lives changed by it for the better. I've never thought of how it might be used as an RPG resource or inspiration, but why not?

loki44

Explorer
dougmander said:
Hmm, not sure if I would consider that a historical reference book, more of a primary text.

I was wondering about this myself.....

The title of the thread contains the indicators "Reference books" and "historical", but the initial post doesn't really specify that he his looking for "reference" book recommendations per se. Most of the recommendations so far, including mine, have been "historical", but not necessarily "reference". "Primary sources" are another matter. Maybe the initial poster could define better what he is looking for (i.e. reference, straight history, or primary)? All three are valuable but serve different purposes.

Aus_Snow

First Post
loki44 said:
Maybe the initial poster could define better what he is looking for (i.e. reference, straight history, or primary)?
Er, yes. Sorry about that. Anyway, I think if this thread is to be more useful to more people, it should be opened up to include references to just about any kind of non-fiction book that contains a good amount of well-researched historical information (primary sources are OK too) as well as any piece of historical fiction that also happens to include plenty of historical facts (or at least things that are very, very likely to be. . .)

. . .with a great writing style being a definite plus. :)

Oh, I might just add. . .

Great question! This has the potential of becoming one of those EN World classic reference threads.
Pleased to hear it, and I really hope so, respectively. :)

Last edited:

Alhazred

First Post
I wrote my MA thesis on Elizabethan common law and church law, Parliament and the Church (of England). I would post my bibliography but, well, much of what is there is inappropriate in light what you require (ie, too specific).

As for general histories of the period, anything by G.R. Elton (especially England Under the Tudors ) and Patrick Collinson (especially The Elizabethan Puritan Movement and English Puritanism). There's an excellent collection of essays, edited by John Guy, titled The Second Reign of Elizabeth: Court and Culture in the Last Decade. Michael Grave's Early Tudor Parliaments is a quick read, although perhaps too specific.

Allen Boyer's Sir Edward Coke and the Elizabethan Age is indispensible if you're at all interested in the conflicts between English common law and canon law, Parliament and the royal prerogative.

The Voices of Morebath: Reformation and Rebellion in an English Village, by Eamon Duffy (who also wrote The Stripping of the Altars, a definite must read) is an excellent account, and quite humours, too, of the tug-of-war which occurred between the Catholics and Protestants as the fortunes English Reformation went back and forth between the two sides.

Enjoy!

OpheliaWhispers

First Post
One book that I would recommend for those of you who are into gods and goddesses, since it covers all kinds of pantheons and time periods and religions would be:

"Dictionary of Gods and Goddesses" by, Michael Jordon (no not the basketball player)

The reason I recommend this book is because I have found so many references to gods that are used in D&D, and other RPGs. It is always interesting to find out what a god/dess was like in real life, and compare it to the version the writers of whatever RPG you are in to.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads