• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Good Ki Focus Powers - general ones for non monk

Istar

First Post
Looking at an Elementalist theme from the new source book.
One of the themes gives you the ability to use Ki Focus doo daki's.

Any Ki Focus things with powers that are any good for a non monk ?

bganon

Explorer
In the PH3, there's the Abduction Ki Focus which has a property where you can slide whoever you hit with an MBA one square. Have a martial Essentials character take the theme and you're golden. The daily power's usable by any class too.

keterys

First Post
I had to answer the same thing recently.

Are you planning on actually _using_ the ki focus instead of another weapon or implement? If so, that opens up some nice options.

For example, Iron Body gives you resist all against enemies you hit. Abduction Ki Focus is a nice option to add to a melee basic.

Ghost Strike is an interesting option for avoiding insubstantial.
Ghost Mask is nice for changing an AC attack into a Will attack once per encounter.

Rain of Hammers Ki Focus is the one I went with - some free damage when you happen to kill something next to you (which can get a little silly if you're surrounded by minions), and once per day you can use to do an at-will as a minor action.

Istar

First Post
Daggermaster Rogue so want to use Rogue powers and get the 18 to 20 crit.

What Ki Focus can I use in that case ?

keterys

First Post
Anything is fine - you can use a ki focus to augment a dagger. Depending on what you have, your weapon might be a better option but you can decide from attack to attack which to use.

Istar

First Post
Sorry I dont know much about the monk and the ki focus thing always confuses me.

So when you make an attack, you can decide to use the weapon bonuses to attack and any special powers that has, which in my Rogues case is the Bloodiron Dagger and good crit damage, and being able to get 19 to 20 crit.

Are you saying that i can opt to not use the dagger bonuses but use the Ki Focus bonus, which may just be +1 instead of my +3 dagger.
But get the full use of the ki Focus.

Which in the case of the MBA, means I can slide enemy 1 on those attacks.
Which works okay as Rogues dont get Daggermaster 18 to 20 crit on a MBA anymore :erm:

And am I right in that Ki Focus you cant swap mid encounter, as they need to be attuned in short rest.

jester_gl

First Post
Short answer: yes to all of this.

Ki focus is also good when your in a class with weapon and implement attack. A paladin with sword and shield for exemple will probably stay away from implement attack because he would both need to upgrade a holy symbol and a sword. With ki focus he could simply upgrade only the focus and choose both implement and weapon power.

Particularly useful for hybrid of weapon/implement class.

Also I'm in love with the devastating ki focus which lets you counts all 1 and 2 as 3 for damage rolls. This is great when you roll a ton of low dice, like glaive user or even a simple rogue (1d4+2d6 from level 1).

Unwise

Adventurer
I don't have the books in front of me, but I suppose this means you can have a knight using a ki focus that shifts people on an MBA. I recall making a knight who had +3 or 4 to the amount of squares he pushed people. Some of that was from/for a weapon. I think that some or all of those bonus squares also applied to slides.

So if you have a knight with Hammerhands stance (pushing one) hitting a guy with an MBA that slides people. That could be devastating if you get to double dip on the feats that add +1 to the amount of squares pushed or slid.

How would you apply that? Does it slide then push, push then slide? Seems like an awful amount of battlefield control.

Even at its most basic, just getting Battering Shield, that is +1 to slides/pushes. Being able to slide somebody two squares, then push them 2 squares would be pretty amazing. A push after a slide is almost as good as sliding itself.

Last edited:

Remove ads