• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Good level 1-3 adventure/module for a group of 12 year old noobs?

Dmitry

First Post
OK all, first off thank you very much.

I ended up going with Idylls of the Rat King. The reason was that it is a fairly straight forward hack and slash dungeon that dove tails with "Burning Plague" nicely (mountains, silver mines, humonoid badies...). I eliminated about a third of the rooms and redrew the map though. It's too confusing for youngins just learning the game. The three way baddies motivation is excellent though. There are far too many secret doors on the original map too.

I liked the The Whispering Cairn a lot but it's really not appropriate for new players. Too much thinking and too little fighting. If anyone wants to run it for ME though....;)

The Wizard's Amulet is my personal favorite and if it fit better with Burning Plague I would have used it. I loved the setup and the "rival NPC" theme is great. It's where the boys will adventure next.

Then they are going to meet a certain golden dragon's horde....

If they live.... The rogue ran after a fleeing goblin today and the rest of the party stayed back and set up an ambush. Needless to say, the rogue got slaughtered when he looked around and saw he had no help.

Talic

First Post
"A Dark And Stormy Night" on the Wzards site is a good short free one. Nice introduction to the basic dungeon crawl theme. Free is a big plus :p

Geron Raveneye

Explorer
If you liked "The Wizard's Amulet", I'd definitely recommend "The Crucible of Freya", if you can get your hands on it. It's a nicely crafted follow-up to that freebie, and very suited for newer gamers, as well as offering a lot of support online, like NPC stats, pregenerated PCs that can be turned into NPCs easily, little scenarios that can be added. It also offers an open-ended background that offers plenty of space for new gamers to stretch their legs and learn the ropes, and leads into adventures such as "Tomb of Abysthor" and the sourcebook "Bard's Gate". All in all, I see it as a very good start for a creative campaign. :)

Remove ads