Good lower level spells to bother a higher level party?

Particle_Man

Explorer
A well-crafted silent image/minor image/major image can sometimes do wonders. It might get the party into a certain configuration or position that you desire (which might happen to be at the bottom of a magically disguised spiked pit), or it might cause the party spellcasters to blow their big spells on an illusory target.

Aran Thule

First Post
You could try spectral hand and then use touch of idiocy(no save) on the main spellcasters.
Might be lucky and lower it enough so they cant use high level spells.
Not sure if it would work but you could try shatter to potentially destroy their potions.

NewJeffCT

First Post
Even more effective is casting it on a creature that has more movement that the PCs do and tell it to hover around the spellcasters. The creature can ready an action to move with the spellcaster and if the creature's movement is high enough, that might even cover a double-move for the PC. I'm thinking of a flying creature like an owl or other bird. Add invisibility to the bird and it's pretty tough to beat. Even someone with see invisible running still has to target a Diminutive or Tiny creature (although a targeted dispel would like take care of the problem).

Here's a question for you, though: if I cast silence on the water in a bucket, then dump the water on a spellcaster, does the silence work? Given that it would soak into their clothing, it would be pretty tough to remove!

Another good idea - thanks. A hawk is a tiny animal, and it flies at 60. An owl flies at 40.
And, if said PC has to use up a round casting a targeted or area dispel on the owl or hawk, then the owl or hawk has done its job... that is one less round spend casting on or attacking the BBEG.

Oryan77

Adventurer
Another option for darkness and silence spells is to have an unseen servant and cast them on it. Some peopel like the idea of casting it on a pebble, which seems kind of cheesy if it's too small to pick out, or too easy ot be used against you if it can be found. On an unseen servant, the PCs will likely have no idea how or why the silence/darkness is moving around.
Not a bad idea, but it's not possible to cast those spells directly on an Unseen Servant because it is invisible & has no form. You're unable to target it because it is only force energy. You could still cast them on a pebble and have the Unseen Servant move the pebble :lol:

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Not a bad idea, but it's not possible to cast those spells directly on an Unseen Servant because it is invisible & has no form. You're unable to target it because it is only force energy. You could still cast them on a pebble and have the Unseen Servant move the pebble :lol:

You're right! This is relevant to me because my cleric just got Blacklight (switching domain) and next level gets Shadow Illusion from Shadowcraft Mage, so I had intended to use an illusory (yet partially real) unseen servant for my blacklight spell. I figured if I used it on myself, enemies would just know I'm at the center of the darkness after a while, but with (replaceable) unseen servants carrying a pebble with it cast on, I can be at any square inside the darkness. This is what happens when you formulate a strategy months ahead of time and then forget about it until it becomes relevant -- you miss important little details.

Invisible spellcaster & summon monster spells. The summoned monsters won't be very potent, but they provide flanking, get in the way, and generally act as a damage sink.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
There are lots of good low level buff spells, like Chant and Bless.

Another good buff spell is Blood Wind, from SpC. Level 1 and only a swift action, it would let your big demon use his full natural attack routine from range for 1 round!

Close Wounds can help keep allies alive rather well, especially if it's a group of low level clerics continually saving each other's asses.

Benign transposition (SpC) can be used to help maneuver the main bad guys into better positions, using the minions to move to said location and then swapping positions.

Nerveskitter (SpC) is a level 1 immediate action spell cast when initiative is rolled, and adding +5 to the target's roll. Useful to let the important NPCs go first.

Seeking Ray (PH2) is probably the most useful ranged damage spell a minion could use, although they're best for non-damaging spells.

Persistent Blade (SpC) is level 1 and does pitiful damage, but does leave a floating weapon locked on the target (like spiritual weapon), and the main benefit: that target is considered flanked by anyone attacking him in melee. Blackguards get SA, right? :)

Mass Snake's Swiftness (SpC) is only level 2 for druids, and gives all targets an immediate free melee attack.

Mark of Doom (PH2) is a pretty nasty curse-like effect, Cleric level 3. It offers no save or SR (!), has good range, and for round/level, whenever the victim attacks or does other aggressive actions (see spell description), he takes 1d6 damage! That can add up really fast for say...a TWF.

Wings of Cover (Races of Dragon) is a level 2 immediate action Sorc-only spell that..completely negates one attack or block line of effect long enough to ruin a targeted spell. If the caster is dragon-blooded, he can use it to protect an adjacent ally instead of just himself. Very useful, although it's a pretty cheesy/broken spell.

Haste is always a useful group buff. Similarly, Slow could be worth it if even just one PC fails the save. Girallon's Blessing (SpC, Clr/Drd/Wiz/Sorc 3) is another great buff spell for a single target, and at 10 min/level, could evne be cast out of battle, if the NPCs are expecting company.

NewJeffCT

First Post
There are lots of good low level buff spells, like Chant and Bless.

Another good buff spell is Blood Wind, from SpC. Level 1 and only a swift action, it would let your big demon use his full natural attack routine from range for 1 round!

That one sounds interesting - is it some sort of energy/force damage? Would a psion protected by Empathic Feedback or a mage protected by Fire Shield still damage the creature?

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
It's an evocation that turns it into a ranged attack. My friends like to think of it as in console RPGs where the characters flail away at each other from a few paces away. Cover and range increment (20 ft) penalties apply, fire shield shouldn't harm the attacker, and I'm not sure if it has a damage type, I could check later if you want.

Remove ads