• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Good offline CRPG for XP/Vista

dvvega

Explorer
Actually, no. As of May 29, my laptop is probably more powerful than my 7-year-old desktop PC. I've yet to buy NWN2 but I doubt it can run on my laptop, which is not really configured for hardcore gaming.

I own a 1.6 Ghz Laptop with an AMD Turion chip (essentially behaves as a Dual Core under Windows XP). It has 2GB of memory and a separate NVidia graphics chipset.

The laptop is definitely not a gaming machine, however I've successfully played The Witcher at Medium Resolution (except in Act 3 where there are just too many AIs running). You shouldn't have a problem playing anything half-decent on your new laptop.

The key here is the graphics card. If it is an onboard one then you will generally have problems, but if you have a card (or chipset) that has a GPU (like mine) then you should not have problems.

D

drothgery

First Post
Ranger REG said:
I thought Mass Effect is a pay-2-play MMORPG. Don't think would work on my laptop. Hopefully I will upgrade my desktop soon (probably going with AMD multi-core CPU).

No. It's a KotOR style RPG (though in Bioware's own universe, rather than Star Wars).

Bront

The man with the probe
Ranger REG said:
most never to bother listing whether they work on multi-core PC.
That's because they don't need to. There were only a few games that had consistent problems with dual core PCs, and those were fixed with patches. Even if you didn't patch it, you can solve it by setting the program to only use 1 CPU manually, so it isn't an issue.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Ranger REG said:
I tried to install my old favorite, Arcanum, but the cursor won't move. Touchpad or mouse, it doesn't work. Had to bring up Vista's Task Manager just to shut it down.
Ah, Arcanum. My idiot savant half-orc technologist who made his own friends makes me smile (and I'm still playing version of him in D&D)...

As for getting to work on Vista, I've heard running it as Admin under Compatibility mode *should* would. My want to check some of the patches at Terra-Arcanum as well.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Grog said:
Have you played Planescape: Torment? Best PC RPG ever made, even though it's almost 10 years old now.
That's a strong claim... though not wrong. ;)

Torment, Arcanum, and the original Fallouts are my top ones.

Grog

First Post
stonegod said:
Torment, Arcanum, and the original Fallouts are my top ones.

The Fallouts are good too (well, the first one, anyway; the second one was good too, but was hamstrung by being buggy as all get-out), but I don't think they've aged as well as Torment has. Still worth playing if one hasn't played them before, though.

silvermane

Explorer
If it is an onboard one then you will generally have problems

I bought one of those (GeForce 7050), and boy am I screwed. The salesman lied to me that the played NFS Carbon on it with no problem. Well, he may have *played* it, but conveniently forgot to mention that it froze after 10 minutes or so. I can't even play Doom 3, NWN or any older 3D game without freezing, not to mention newer ones.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads