• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Good Prestige Class for Wizard

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Wild Mage + Fate Spinner + Practiced Spellcaster feat. All your spells will be Your Base Caster level + 1d3. You can increase the DCs of your spells selectively. And you will be wildly chaotic.

I'll also put a good word in for Shadowcraft Mage from Races of Stone. Because I love that class, and I'm about to play one for the first time.

Rackhir

Explorer
Alienist is a good choice in my book. Lots of flavor, no spell level progression loss and you even keep progression for your Familiar. Doesn't really add much in the way of power though. There's a recent thread on summoning and alienists you might want to read through.

Archmage has some fabulous abilities, but you can't take it til a minimum of 13th lvl (have to be able to cast 7th lvl spells) and many of the abilities require you to give up a 8th or 9th lv spell slot which you won't have for a while.

A few levels of Loremaster can give you some interesting tricks and won't cost you any caster level progression.

Li Shenron

Legend
Thanee said:
Starting with your first wizard at such a high level is quite some dive into the deep water. :D

Wizard is a very complex class with the excessive amount of spells out there.

I agree very much, tho I'd have another liquid in mind.

But since none of us will be able to stop axp_dave from playing this, I'd suggest the good old Loremaster, which will give solid bonuses without overloading with special abilities.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Li Shenron said:
But since none of us will be able to stop axp_dave from playing this, I'd suggest the good old Loremaster, which will give solid bonuses without overloading with special abilities.

That's actually really sound advice. For a first time wizard, it can get overwhelming to keep from being buried from under all the options of spells, item creation possibilities, keeping track of all the DCs and attacks and etc. Going for something like Loremaster is nice for a beginning PrC. Then as the character learns more about their character and class, they can either branch out into a new one or else keep playing this PrC out and try something different with a new character down the road.

Remove ads