Good published "starter" adventure wanted

malkav666

First Post
Thanks - I was intrigued when I saw Rise of the Runelords yesterday. I just need to read up on the town of Sandpoint a bit more to start. I've already done some work on the town setting I intend to use, so want to see how "portable" Sandpoint is to it.

There is actually a really good writeup on Sandpoint and some good ideas about populating the region around it in the back of the first module, several pages long detailing all of the locations.

There are some neat monuments and landmarks that could easily be re purposed for a myriad of campaign themes. the only real bummer is that the Sandpoint map is fabulous and its a coastal town, so if your town is inland you wont get to use that great map (unless you put in by a lake or something). I think the city is fairly portable having ported it to my own setting myself.

The only real fluff that would be work is dealing with the themes of the runelords themselves and some of the deities. There is a section in the back of that module that gives a basic outline of the AP so that you can look at those topics in bulk (its really handy if you intend to reflavor a lot of the fluff). But as a standalone adventure its pretty good in part or in whole.

There are 2 major adventure locations that are fairly portable in and of themselves, and lots of ideas for making your own sites and adding them in. The two locations are a glassworks with an ancient complex under it, and a fairly unique stronghold populated by a myriad of neat opponents from a horde of goblins, some yeth hounds, a barghest, and some fairly decent humanoid baddies.

If you are looking at the kobold king modules (there 2 and some other modules that use the same adventure location if you want to continue the theme). The first one his a few minor locations and a showdown with some kobolds in a major ruined structure in an effort to stop a plague, and the follow up module has the players exploring the halls under the structure to end it as evil influences once and for all.

Crypt of the Everflame has the adventurers trekking off into the woods as part of a coming of age ceremony that involves performing a ritual in a crypt that is historically significant to the town. Things don't go as planned and the trial/ceremony turns into a real adventure. The dungeon is very classic feeling and IMO is one of the best site based adventures recently published.

They made a follow up adventure called (I think) Masks of the Gods that can be used to continue the arc that starts in Crypt of the Everflame. I bought it but have not had time to sit down and read it yet, and I believe they plan to close the arc with a third module this year. But it is my experience that these multipart modules are fairly portable and easily used as a standalone. Even the APs can be used in part or whole as a standalone (plus they have bestiaries and other interesting flavor bits about Golarion in the back of them, that are fairly inspiring even if you don't use Golarion as your game world).

I am not sure what is good on the 4e front. I own Keep on the Shadowfell and Thunderspire Labyrinth. I did not like KotSF, and Thunderspire was a decent module (but a little grindy according to my players). There were some modules in dungeon magazine that were marketed as a follow up to Red Hand that I got to play through. I played through the first three but was not impressed. I am not sure if it was poor modules that really made no sense when played in order, my neophyte DM having a hard time with the group, or my then waning interest in 4e, that did it, but I just did not enjoy them. But that's just my own opinion, I have read accounts of folks having a great time with the modules. Maybe if you have access to person with a DDI account you can use their user name to DL them for yourself and have a look for free before committing to a subscription yourself.

love,

malkav

Last edited:

NewJeffCT

First Post
No prophecy involved. I do second the opinion that KotS is a mindless slog though. Off the top of my head, there are roughly 25 combat encounters and maybe 3 given opportunities to role play. It's mostly a straight up hack and slash your way through waves of kobolds and goblins.

Thanks for the input on that one - I do have KotS, though. I'd have to acquire some of the others.

Remove ads